Wednesday, August 26, 2015

The Front Yard: 8/20/15

This is the time of year when I go on editing frenzies.  Purging all. the. things.  I ripped two bags worth of clothes out of my closet and drawers yesterday.  On a whim.  No mercy.  No hmming and huhing over any item.  Yank.  Into the bag.


Every August, I want to tear every plant out of the yard and start over from scratch.  Only keep the ones I love.  Make room for new ones that are on my wish list.
It's the time of year when annuals are scraggly and showing their age, perennials have done so well that they're pushing all their neighbors out of the bed.
The dirt is dry, and cracked, and needing a load of compost.
I'm just kinda over all of it.
I'm ready for the editing frenzy.


Until then, here's what's going on out front, as of last week.


After being mowed down in early spring by the slug army, almost all of the Coleus survived and thrived this year.
Some years they do well for me, others, they suck.




The Persicarias are new to the yard this year and this one is, hands down, my favorite.
Shape, habit, and color.












This sunflower-ish plant has a tap root that would rival the toughest of the dandelions.
Dozens of plants comes up in this same spot every year and some years I let them grow, some I don't.
This year it got lucky.




The dang things are at least twelve feet tall.


"Tina" is still doin' her thang.
I love this rose.  I wish I knew the real name of it.





These are the 'Vanilla' Marigolds I was talking about yesterday.
The ones that will keep me out of the Cool Kid's Club.
I don't care, I love them.
My pictures make them look more yellow than they actually are.
The plant itself is so nice and tidy and I love the puffy, butter colored flowers.









The 'Blue Bell' Dahlia is really starting to bloom good now.
I still have two Dahlias that haven't done anything yet, but I spotted buds on both plants today.




And last, a pink Zinnia.
I wish I had room to grow a whole giant bed of them.



That's it for out front today.
The kids start school in the morning, so we're rounding up first day stuff and getting outfits ready.
Here we go with another year!



6 comments:

  1. I'm in the mood for tearing everything out and redoing it too. You've perfectly matched that Persicaria 'Painter's Palette' to its neighbors, especially the pretty, dainty Fuchsia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok I am not crazy.....lol. I feel the same exact way about my yard and when I tell people or even my husband they tell me I am nuts. They say just enjoy it how it is now and slowely change things over time. But nope, that's not what I want! I have been dreaming of tearing out all my flower beds in the front yard and doing all over again. I went out the other day to dig up some flowers that just have to go......but the damn dirt is so hard, it was like I was digging into rock. We have had barely any rain for well over a month now so I don't think I can even think about making new beds and digging out old ones. Grrrrrrr

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok I am not crazy.....lol. I feel the same exact way about my yard and when I tell people or even my husband they tell me I am nuts. They say just enjoy it how it is now and slowely change things over time. But nope, that's not what I want! I have been dreaming of tearing out all my flower beds in the front yard and doing all over again. I went out the other day to dig up some flowers that just have to go......but the damn dirt is so hard, it was like I was digging into rock. We have had barely any rain for well over a month now so I don't think I can even think about making new beds and digging out old ones. Grrrrrrr

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the coleus. Was just thinking this morning about taking cuttings to over winter them. I had some self seed last year and some babies come up here and there this year..love that. And I LOVE the vanilla marigolds. Wow. They are stunning. They remind me of some ITOH peonies I ordered for this fall. Love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These pretty pictures don't exactly support your case for digging everything up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And tired...I am just tired of watering and weeding and dead-heading and dreading the fall cleanup.

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover