Saturday, January 26, 2013

Quick Broccoli Pasta


Okay kids, here's one you can get on the table in under thirty minutes.  Fifteen if you chopped your broccoli ahead of time.

A lot of our meals include a fair amount of prep, but I'm home during the day, so I can work it in whenever there's a lull in the kid program.  I realize a lot of people don't have the time, or desire, to do that, so this one's for you.




Here's the recipe with my notes:
(I had this handwritten on an index card, so I have no idea where it originally came from.)

Broccoli Pasta

2 1/2 pounds fresh broccoli, (since the kids are only on board with the stems this month, I just used about a pound and a quarter)
2 garlic cloves, minced (we like a lot of garlic, so I used 4)
1/3 C olive oil (see note)
1 Tbsp butter (see note)
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
pinch cayenne
8 oz linguine, fettuccine, or any pasta you like, cooked and drained (I don't think I've ever cooked less than a pound for dinner in my life.)
Parmesan or Romano cheese, grated

Cut broccoli florets and tender parts of stems into bite-size pieces.  In a large skillet, saute broccoli with garlic, oil, butter, salt, pepper, and cayenne over medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until just tender, stirring frequently.

Place hot pasta in serving dish and top with broccoli mixture.  Serve with grated cheese.  The Dad also threw some red pepper flakes on his.

*Because I had double the amount of pasta called for, I added an extra tablespoon of butter and a few more glugs of olive oil.  Just eyeball it and get it as saucy as you like.






We had bread with oil and vinegar to go with.
Here's dinner on my plate:







Good stuff.

On a side note, I started a sewing project this morning and I finished just in time to make dinner.
Why does it take me soooo looooong?
Finished project post to come.

Please see my sidebar for the parties I link up to every week.




4 comments:

  1. Mindy-This sounds like a great meal- and healthy, too- Thanks- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, broccoli is so good for you. I love this type of pasta 'sauce'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you had me at "quick"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My step-dad does something similar,..only thing is an addition of mushrooms. It is so simple and yet so amazing. As for the sewing,....I spend as much (okay, yes, more) time ripping out stitches as I do actual sewing. :(

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover