Monday, January 6, 2014

Surprise Birthday Bedroom Makeover: The Plan

The Kid turns eight this month.

Side-note:  WHAT?!?!

I decided it's time he has his own room again.  Baby is big enough now to move out of her crib, so I'm movin' her in with her big sister.

Somewhere along the line, I decided it would be a fun idea to do it all as a surprise birthday present.

Boy Sweet Sayings Canvas Reproduction

As of now, The Kid and The Girl are sharing a room.  



You can get the "big reveal" here.  If you want the full meal deal, here are all the posts leading up to it.  
I still can't believe The Dad built those bunk beds.
In hindsight, that was sort of a crazy pregnant chick request.

When we found out number three was coming, we kicked The Kid out of his room and made a nursery for Baby.  




Those rooms came together slowly (well, sort of, I was knocked up and kinda in a hurry) and I had time to move things in as I got them or made them.
So what do you do when you're planning a room, but can't put it all together until the big day?  Start a new Pinterest board and start hoarding inspiration photos, of course.  You can check out my latest time-suck, obsession, project here.

The room is really small.
We built it from scratch when we put on the addition and at the time, it was for a not quite 2-year old little boy, so he didn't need much space.
A twin bed takes up most of the floor space, but I really want to set up a desk area for him, now that he's in school.

Here are some examples of what I see in my head.

Colors

Colors

Metal Pail Craft Storage

BOY'S ROOM: walls in grey-blue with other colors as accents.

I was originally going to paint the walls grey, but after hinting around with him a bit, he made it very clear that he wanted the same blue walls that are in there now.
Which isn't as fun for me, but will make it a heckofalot easier to pull off in one day.

Delighted Momma: Zinc Letters

Metal Wall Organizer

clip boards to display artwork

Study Wall

.

Cubby Organizer

So that's the latest at our house.
I've made some purchases that I'm super excited about and there will be some scrounging through the attic and DIYing to get things I want on a tiny budget.

I'm anxious for it to all come together and I can't wait to see his face when he realizes he's finally out of the "girl room."
The plan is for him to stay the night with his auntie and uncle, then come home to a new room.
That's "the plan."

You can find all the original sources to the photos on my Carter's New Room Pinterest board.


Please see my sidebar for the parties I link up to.


6 comments:

  1. This is brilliant!!! Your inspiration for his room is amazing! I can not wait to hear how it all goes down!!! What a good mama you are!!!! Have a great week!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool is that idea? I love the photos you have posted as inspiration. I imagine he will be thrilled. I think it's a great idea to make it a surprise. It will make his new room that much more special. Like part of a great adventure. I look forward to hearing how this all turns out.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. He'll be beyond thrilled to get out of the "girl" room and back into his own space. I'm super excited to see his face.

      Delete
  3. I love every single thing you chose on the pinterest board - we just moved my daughter's furniture around yesterday and she was so excited she slept in there for the first time in about 6 months - suddenly decided she didn't need to be in the boys room any longer. Of course at 2 am I heard, "Moooooommmmmm." Can't wait to see all the projects you are going to do for Carter's room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in serious love with wire baskets or what they're calling "Wall Pockets" on your Pinterest page. So many cool things. ... I love the window seat in the baby room and I hope it is staying for the kid. Such yummy eye candy. Love it all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mindy, it's going to look awesome! Wish I was nearby to help you pull it all together...it sounds like quite the feat

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover