Monday, February 3, 2014

Chocolate Blood Orange Cupcakes

When blood oranges showed up in the stores last winter, I was stockpiling every recipe I could find.  I dug into the archives when they showed up again this year and came across these cupcakes. I needed some sort of dessert for Baby's birthday on Saturday, so I decided to try them out.


We won't be celebrating her birthday with family until next weekend, but I had to have something to stick a candle in on the actual day.  Any excuse to try a new treat recipe, right?

When I asked her what kind of party she wanted, she said bumblebee and butterfly.  Okey doke.  So I made chocolate bees and butterflies, along with flowers and hearts.  I stashed some away for her party cake, but stuck the smaller ones on top of the cupcakes.


The cake was super moist.  It would be a good recipe, even if you skipped the blood orange.  But it was fun to use a seasonal fruit for both the cupcakes and the frosting.  I was surprised that it didn't call for eggs.  And you use coconut milk, which I'm a super fan of.  So if you're dairy free, you could jump on board the chocolate blood orange cupcake bandwagon.

You can get the recipe here:  Chocolate Olive Oil and Blood Orange Cupcakes

The only thing I did different was using vegetable oil in place of the olive oil.

Here they are at my house:





















If you click over for the recipe, her frosting is pink.


Mine turned out a light peachy-orange color.

Maybe it depends on the oranges.
I suppose you could put a couple drops of food coloring in, if you wanted them for Valentine's Day.
Either way, they didn't suck at all.


Please see my sidebar for the parties I link up to.


6 comments:

  1. They not only sound delicious they look delicious and beautiful to boot! Seriously! I love the chocolate pieces on top! How cute are those! I am a huge fan of the orange and dark chocolate candies from Trader Joes and that is what I am imagining when I see your yummies!!! Fantastic and a very happy birthday to baby! Cant wait to see pics from the party!!! A very wonderful week to you!!! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mindy, I've never had a blood orange! They don't have them here in the frozen tundra...I mean Boston. But, whenever I do live somewhere that has them, I will be making these!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look so good! Please send one my way!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um, you made the cute little chocolate pieces on the top? Is there no end to your talents? And, (last question)...how long will it take me to get to your place to sample one? ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautifully decorated cupcakes! I love the addition of blood oranges.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Searching for recipes for V-Day and came across some on your blog that I really must try. These cupcakes look so good and picture perfect. Did you make the chocolate pieces for the top? How did you make them? Do you think regular oranges would work for this recipe or do you think it must be blood oranges?

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover