Monday, February 10, 2014

Chili-Cheese Hominy

I didn't grow up a hominy fan.  Not because I didn't like it, we just never had it.  The Dad is the one who always used to talk about how much he loved it, so I dug out a soup recipe that called for it and I was sold.  Fast forward a couple years later and I've used it in all kinds of things.  But this is the first time I've made it as its own dish.


The Kid brought the recipe home from school and it had me at Chili-Cheese.  I did have a hard time trying to come up with something to go with it.  I settled on a Chili-Lime Chicken recipe that I make (that's super easy and really good - I need to share that recipe, too), and a Cucumber-Jicama Salad.  They went well together, and now that I've had it, I think it would go with any sort of Mexican-style food.  ORRRRR, add more ingredients to the dish (chorizo anyone?) and use it as a filling for tacos or burritos. Uh-huh, we're gonna make that one happen.

Here's the recipe with my notes:

Chili-Cheese Hominy
Printable Recipe

1/2 C onion, chopped
1 Tbsp butter
1 can (31 ounces) white or yellow hominy, drained
1 can (8 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
1 C sour cream
1 tsp chili powder
1/8 tsp pepper
1 C shredded cheddar cheese, divided

Saute onion in butter in a large skillet for 5 minutes.  Add hominy, green chilies, sour cream, chili powder, and pepper.  Add 1/2 cup cheese.

Pour into a lightly greased baking dish.  





Bake at 400 for 20 minutes.  
Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and bake another 5 minutes, or until cheese melts.



As I mentioned, I made Chili-Lime Chicken Thighs to go with.







And a Cucumber-Jicama salad.
Basically just lime juice and honey with a sprinkle of chipotle chili powder for fun.








And here's everybody on my plate:



Give everything an extra squeeze of lime juice at the table.
And some avocado never hurt anything either.
Cilantro, too.
Gotta have cilantro.







Really good dinner.
And a fun new side dish to add to your back pocket.
If you're a hominy fan, or even if you're a newbie, these recipes are really, really good and always earn me bonus points from The Dad:




Please see my sidebar for the parties I link up to.


2 comments:

  1. I'm going to give your hominy recipe a go. I don't think I've ever had it in my life. I was thinking a bit of bacon in it might be good too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah YUM!!! You had me from the start friend! This looks amazing!!!! And I'm loving that salad friend! A lovely week to you...you got your mojo back with your food posts and I'm loving it!!! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover