Wednesday, November 23, 2011

New Mexico-Style Pot Roast + Night #2 Enchiladas

New recipe night last night.  This one came out of Cookie magazine - October 2009.

The kids were not on board with this one, but The Dad and I thought it was deeeelicious.

Here's the recipe with my notes:

New Mexico-Style Pot Roast

1 3-pound beef chuck roast
1 Tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 15-oz jar red enchilada sauce (I used about half of a big can)
1 12-oz can light beer or lager
1 1/2 C low-sodium beef broth
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
2 small chayote squash, cut into large chunks
1 15-oz can hominy, drained (I used a big can)

Preheat oven to 450.  
Rub the meat with the oil, salt, and pepper.  
Place it in a baking pan and roast for 30 minutes, turning it once halfway through. 
(I used a small roasting pan.)

Reduce heat to 350.
Add the enchilada sauce, beer, and broth.
Cover with foil and cook for 2 1/2 hours.

Add potatoes, squash, and hominy.
Cook for 30 minutes more, stirring to get the top veggies down into the sauce.



Uncover and cook until the vegetables are tender and the juices are slightly thickened, 15 to 30 minutes more, stirring again if needed.
Carve the meat across the grain; serve it all drizzled with the sauce.

This wasn't the prettiest meal to photograph, but man oh man was it good.
Here's dinner on my plate:






Okay, now for the best part.  Leftovers.  Enchilada Pie.  I did the same thing I did here, so if you need a photo step-by-step, or just a more traditional version, check out that post.

This was SO good!!!  And NO WORK.  I literally took the leftovers out of the fridge along with some corn tortillas and started layering.  I smushed the sweet potatoes a bit as I added them, so they were more like refried beans.  I also cut the squash into smaller pieces.  I added just a little bit of jack cheese and some of what was leftover from opening a big can of the enchilada sauce yesterday to coat the bottom of the pie dish - there was enough sauce left over in the roasting pan to coat the layers.  Other than that, it was pretty much dump and bake.  And it was AMAZINGLY good.  Again, not exactly visually appealing, but I wasn't servin' the pope.

Oh yeah, I probably should have used a bigger baking dish, but once you've started, there's kinda no going back.  So I put the pie plate on a cookie sheet before putting it into the oven.  I really wasn't in the mood to clean up a boil over.

Here's a couple pics of night #2 coming together:




I covered and baked it like this for about an hour.
Then I took the foil off, added a bit more cheese and baked for another 15 minutes or so.




Here's tonight's dinner on my plate:




So good.

2 comments:

  1. Are you kidding me? I just finished eating but am feeling hungry right now anyway. Soooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now this is something I must try immediately! Just love all the ingredients and the ability to make the 2nd dish too. Thanks so much for sharing!

    xo
    Pat
    P.S. Guess I didn't hear the phone when you called to tell me dinner was ready. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover