Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Green Tomato & Bacon Grilled Cheese Sammies

We do grilled cheese with tomato soup often in our house.  It's fast, easy, and everyone likes it.  This time, I went with a grown-up version of the grilled cheese for The Mom and Dad.  When The Dad took his first bite he said, Mmmmm, this is a really good sandwich!  Yes, yes it is.  It's a bit over the top, but when it comes to cheese, over the top is good in my book.  You could certainly skip one of them though.

I was only making three sandwiches, so I adjusted the ingredients accordingly.  I'm not positive, because I ripped it from the newspaper, but this may be a Bobby Flay recipe.


Here's the recipe with my notes:
Serves 4

Green Tomato & Bacon Grilled Cheese

8 slices center-cut bacon (I used 6)
10 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temp (I only used 2)
8 slices Pullman bread (I used ciabatta rolls)
12 oz Brie, thinly sliced (I used less)
2 green tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
8 oz soft goat cheese (I used less), cut into 8 slices (or chunks if that's what your cheese prefers)
Kosher salt and black pepper

Put bacon in a large skillet or griddle over medium heat.
Cook, flipping once, until golden brown and crisp, 10 minutes.
Remove to a paper-towel-lined plate.
Break pieces in half; set aside.

Heat a cast-iron pan over medium heat.
Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread.
(Instead, I just melted the butter in the pan.)

Place 4 slices butter-side-down and layer each with 3 to 4 slices of Brie.


Add tomato slices.



Add goat cheese.



Add bacon.



Season with salt and pepper.
Place remaining bread on top, butter-side up.
Cook until the bottom side is golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes.


Flip, cover sandwich with upside-down heatproof bowl to melt cheese (mine melted fine without doing this), and continue cooking until the bottom side is golden brown and the Brie has melted, 3 to 4 minutes.


Here's dinner on my plate:




Like The Dad said, this was a really good sandwich.
I happened to have a few remaining green tomatoes in the garden, but I think it would be just as delicious with ripe ones.
C'mon, it's bacon and cheese, what's not to like?!

5 comments:

  1. Ahhh this looks yummy! I do grilled cheese for both my boys about 3 times a week. Such an easy dinner...adding bacon sounds like the perfect marriage of deliciousness

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, you make the most deliciouis looking stuff; can I come over for din-din?

    S
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never eat green tomatoes,....you're making me want to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooooohhhh cheesy goodness...! i wish i had green tomatoes left!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm drooling all over my desk right now. Dang, those look GOOD!

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover