Monday, November 7, 2011

Ruby Chicken

This recipe has been in rotation at our house for several years now.  It originally came out of the paper.  It's delicious.  It's more than delicious.  One of the best things about it is, you can use any piece of chicken you happen to have.  I've done it with pretty much everything except boneless, skinless breasts, but I'm sure it would be delicious with those too.  Tonight I used 3 leg quarters 'cause there was a family pack in the bargain bin at my ghetto Safeway, but if I was forced at gunpoint to pick my favorite, I'd have to say boneless, skinless thighs.


Also, I've used the canned whole berry cranberry sauce and the fresh cranberries and they're both equally good.


Here's the recipe:

Ruby Chicken 

1 fryer, cut up, excess skin removed, or breasts and thighs (see my comment above)
1/3 C flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 C butter
1 1/2 C fresh or frozen cranberries OR one 16-oz can whole cranberry sauce OR 1 C leftover cranberry sauce
1/2 C sugar (omit if using cranberry sauce)
1/4 C chopped onion
1 tsp grated orange zest
3/4 C orange juice
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger or 1 tsp chopped fresh ginger

Shake chicken in a bag with flour and salt.
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
Brown chicken in butter.
(I always use my electric skillet to make this and it works really good.)


Combine and bring to a boil cranberries, sugar (if needed), onion, orange zest, orange juice, cinnamon and ginger.



Stir and pour over the chicken.


Cover fry pan and simmer gently about 35 minutes until tender, or bake in a covered casserole at 400 for 30 to 35 minutes.
(Adjust your cooking time according to what cut of chicken you're using.)


I made a new recipe Southern-Style Dressing, which was amazing and I'll share the recipe in another post, and green beans to go with the chicken.

Here's dinner on my plate:






Sorry most of the pictures are so terrible.
I was outta daylight by 4:45.
This Daylight Savings is killin' my food photo mojo.


3 comments:

  1. This looks so yummy! I have to pin it! AND your pictures look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heading to the freezer to find some chicken . . . .

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover