Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Red Wine Short Ribs, Roasted Brussels Sprouts With Pears, & Parmesan Polenta

You're gonna wanna make out with me after you make this dinner.  Okay, maybe not make out.  But you're definitely gonna wanna slip your tongue in my ear while giving me a hug.


The first time I made this rib recipe, I actually posted it.  It was one of my first posts and there was only one picture and no recipe.  Clearly when I started it, I had no idea this blog would revolve so much around food.  Which is surprising, considering the fact that my life revolves around food.

The Brussels sprouts were a new a recipe and with the addition of the pears, they were beyond delicious.  I know everyone who likes Brussels sprouts says this, but I think even haters could choke these down.

The polenta wasn't a recipe.  Just your basic stove top corn meal and liquid with butter and Parmesan cheese.  The Dad took his first bite and said it's one of his favorite foods.  I really need to make it more often.  It's so easy and so good.  And a nice change from pasta or potatoes.

Okey doke, now that I've blabbed (maybe I should go back to one picture, no-recipe posts!), here's the short rib recipe with my notes:

Red Wine Short Ribs

2 C dry red wine
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 packet (0.6 oz) au jus gravy mix
1/2 tsp kosher salt (I skipped this - I figure the au jus packet has enough sodium for one meal)
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp dried thyme
8 shallots, halved
8 beef short ribs, about 3 pounds (the recipe says you can substitute 2 lbs of beef chuck cut into 2-inch pieces)
1/4 C chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (optional)


In a 6-qt slow cooker (oh yeah, it's a crockpot recipe!), whisk together the red wine, tomato paste, gravy mix, salt, pepper and thyme; add the shallots.


Add the ribs, placing them meatiest side down.



Cover and cook until the meat is very tender, on low 8 to 10 hours or on high 4 to 6 hours.

With a slotted spoon, transfer the ribs to a plate.


Using a ladle or a spoon, skim and discard fat from the sauce.
Spoon sauce over the ribs and sprinkle with the parsley, if using.

Roasted Brussels Sprouts With Pears  
I cut the amounts way back - the original recipe says it feeds 8. 
I figured the kids might eat half of one, if I was lucky.

2 pounds fresh Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved (I used 1/2 lb)
2 firm red Bartlett pears, cored and cut into 1/2-inch wedges (I used one green pear)
6 shallots, quartered (I used 4 large garlic cloves, cut in half)
10 fresh thyme sprigs (I used 5 or 6)
3 Tbsp olive oil (I just drizzled)
Course salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (Again, I just drizzled)


Preheat oven to 425.
On two large rimmed baking sheets, toss sprouts, pears, shallots, thyme, and oil; season with salt and pepper.
(Clearly you don't need two baking sheets if you're cooking for less than 8.)



Roast until Brussels sprouts are just tender and lightly browned, 25 to 30 minutes, rotating pans halfway through.
Toss with lemon juice and serve.



Here's tonight's dinner on my plate.
You can thank me, minus the tongue, later.









If the Brussels sprouts are throwin' ya off, click here to see what I served it with the first time around.

3 comments:

  1. I don't usually eat meat but that looks good...especially the red wine, lol. I'll have to tell you the story of my disaster with the crock pot meal one day. It involved a roast and didn't end well. You're wondering "how can someone screw up a crock pot recipe"? Leave it to me. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah,....that looks great. I don't think I've ever made beef ribs, just pork. Have to add that to my list of things to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been cooking blog searching to add to my newly developing kitchen skills and your blog, pictures, and recipes are THE BEST!! This looks scrupmtous, as Always! YUM.

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover