Thursday, November 17, 2011

Asian Beef Tacos

I have no dinner prep pictures for you.  Today was hectic.  Well, not hectic, just busy.  I dropped The Kid at school, then The Girl and I headed to my PT appointment.  From there we hit up the fabric store.  I went to one I haven't been to since I was pregnant with The Kid.  It's HUGE.  I think I had a small seizure when I walked in the door.  Completely overwhelming, but at the same time made me want to sew EVERYTHING.  I ended up with some fabric for the Shared Bedroom - which I'll share in another post.

Once we got home, I started in on the dresser for their room.  It needed to be sanded down and primed before I could repaint it.  Always somethin', I tell ya.  I got it sanded and primed outside under the patio umbrellas.  I headed out to pick up The Kid from school and when we got home, it was DUMPING.  I ran out back to find the primer running off of the drawer fronts and down the sides of the dresser base.  Good times people.  Good times.  So I wiped it all down and brought it inside to reprime it.  Gad.  Anyway, I have the first coat of paint on it and I'll see if I like it enough - once there's some daylight - to fully commit.  I'm leaning toward yes at this point.  It's hard for me to stray from white when it comes to painted furniture, but anytime I see something someone else has painted a fun color, I love it.  So I decided to just go for it.

Okay, now that I've blabbed your ear off, let's get to dinner, shall we?

I ripped this recipe out of a magazine, but not sure which one.  I literally threw it together in under 10 minutes - between sanding and priming.  The smell wafting through the house the rest of the day was beyond amazing.  It's one of the best meals I've ever smelled.  Yes smelled.  Seriously.

The only thing I'd do different is double the sauce.  It was so good, I wanted enough for my rice and there just wasn't much after cooking for 6 hours.  Other than that, I'd make it the same next time.  And there will be a next time.

Here's the recipe:

Asian Beef Tacos

1/4 C low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 C honey
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 Tbsp grated ginger
1 to 2 tsp chili garlic sauce
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 lb flank steak, cut crosswise into 2 1/2-inch-thich strips (I threw mine in whole)
4 scallions, cut into 2 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 small head iceberg lettuce, thinly sliced, about 4 cups
1/2 C fresh cilantro leaves
1 Tbsp rice vinegar (I just realized I forgot this)
8 small flour tortillas
Toasted sesame seeds

In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine the soy sauce, honey, garlic, ginger, chili garlic sauce and cinnamon.  Add the beef and turn to coat.  Cover and cook until the meat is tender and shreds easily, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 5 to 6 hours.

Fifteen minutes before serving, thinly slice the scallions lengthwise.  In a bowl, toss the lettuce, scallions, cilantro and vinegar.  Serve the beef in the tortillas and top with the lettuce mixture.  Sprinkle with the sesame seeds. 

I had some baby red bell peppers, so I chopped some of those up as well.  I made brown rice to go with.

Here's dinner on my plate:






It would be just as delicious to skip the tortilla and serve the meat over rice.
Or, skip the carbs altogether and make a big salad.
Yum, yum.

2 comments:

  1. What? No pictures of the fabric store? I can't wait to see what you got. I painted today too...my problem was wind tho. Spray painting in the wind = disaster!

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover