Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Southern-Style Dressing

This is another Better Homes recipe.  This one's from 2007.  Now you know how out of control my stash must be if I'm just now pullin' things from 4 years ago!

I'm a stuffing girl anyway, but this was so good.  If I'm just throwing one together, I love to put in fruit and nuts, but the greens and sweet potatoes in this were deeeelicious!!!!  And, of course, the bacon didn't hurt in the flavor department either.



Here's the recipe with my notes:

Southern-Style Dressing 

2 medium sweet potatoes
4 slices bacon
Butter
3/4 chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
2 C chopped fresh collard greens or Swiss chard (I'm not sure what I bought - possibly mustard greens)
3 C corn bread stuffing mix (I used Stove Top - 1 box was 2 C, so I used two boxes)
1/2 C coarsely chopped pecans (I didn't have any so I used slivered almonds)
1 Tbsp snipped fresh parsely
1/4 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
1 to 1 1/4 C chicken broth (I ended up using more with the extra cup of bread cubes)



Preheat oven to 325.
Wash sweet potatoes; prick with a fork.
Microwave 4 to 6 minutes or until tender; cool at least 20 minutes.
Peel potatoes and cut into 1/2-inch cubes; set aside.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp; drain on paper towels.
Reserve drippings in skillet.
Crumble bacon; set aside.
Measure drippings.  
If necessary, add buttter to drippings to make 3 tablespoons.
Cook onion in reserved drippings over medium heat until just tender.
Add garlic; cook 30 seconds.
Add greens or chard; cook 5 minutes or until tender.
I was ready to eat it just like this.  
The smell was incredible.


In a bowl, combine potatoes, bacon, onion mixture, stuffing mix, pecans, parsley, and pepper.




Add enough broth to moisten; toss lightly to combine.
Transfer to 2-quart baking dish; cover.
(Or use to stuff an 8- to 10-pound turkey.)
Bake about 45 minutes or until heated through.


We had ours with the Ruby Chicken and sauteed green beans.




So so good.
In fact, there's still half a pan left, so I'll be eatin' it again tonight.

3 comments:

  1. Oh yeah, that sounds amazing. And now that's exactly what I'm craving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These recipes are looking very delicious and yummy that's why i feels hungry. These recipes are easy to made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it looks really good! i will have to try it! thanks for stopping so happy you could finally comment!! xo susan

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover