Sunday, November 20, 2011

Operation Shared Bedroom: Part 2

I'm far from done with the room, but I thought I'd give a progress report and show you the fabrics I came home with last week.

Originally, I was going to paint the walls.  But then I came across the old paint sample for the stripes.  For anyone who's interested, they're from the same Glidden swatch, in Sea Drops and Yucca White.  I painted them when I was pregnant with The Girl and it was a lot of work.  Insanely time-consuming.  Since I was now able to match the colors for touching up the 5000 nail holes, I decided I'd leave the stripes.  I figured green is gender neutral and one less thing to paint was soundin' really good at the time.

Look Ma, no holes!



As I mentioned the other day, the sanding and painting of the dresser got rained out, so I hauled it all inside to finish it up.  We found the dresser at a junk store when I was pregnant with The Kid.  I originally painted it white for his nursery.  I decided to finally stray from my comfort zone and go with a color this time around.

Here's a sneak peak of the dresser:




The hardest part, for me anyway, was deciding on what to do with fabrics.  I love, love, love the curtains that were in there, but they were flowers and mostly pink, which isn't exactly boy-friendly. 

 You can see a bit of them here:


When The Girl first moved to a big girl bed, I made her duvet cover out of a piece of fabric I had stashed away for years. It looks quilted, without all the work of actually making a quilt.  

Here's a shot of it on her bed:


The center piece is the "quilted" fabric.  Around the entire perimeter of that is a strip of off-white, then blocks of different fabrics sewn together that you can see hanging off the edge of the bed.  So my goal was to find the same kind of "quilted" fabric in the same colors, minus the pink, to make a similar one for The Kid.  Yeah, that didn't happen.  I found a few that were in nursery prints, but nothing that I thought would work for here.  So The Mom will be sewing a lot of blocks together.  We'll see how it goes.

Here's the fabric from The Girl's duvet cover that I was trying to match:



Before I show you what I came home with, let me just say, The Dad was not impressed with my choices.  He was expecting tools, trucks, dinosaurs, etc.  Ain't gonna happen.  Just like princesses, Dora, or Barbie aren't ever gonna show up in any fabric for The Girl.  Sorry, but it just isn't my cup of tea.  When, and if, The Kid gets his own room again someday, then we'll talk about more "masculine" fabric choices.  

Until then, this is what I bought to make the top section of his duvet cover:


I also came home with this.  
I couldn't not!
Not sure how I'll work it in, but it's about the cutest dang fabric I've ever seen.
Hey, it's blue and red, not pink and purple!


Here's a shot of all the fabrics together:


So that's where I'm at so far.
I got the last coat of paint on the dresser and have been working on sanding and painting something else for the room.
It's a secret.
The Dad has also started in on his portion of the bargain.
I'll keep ya updated as the project moves along.

4 comments:

  1. Can`t wait until the secret is revealed!

    Sue
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the fabrics! I don't envy you with all the sewing but it will pay off in the end. And I'm glad you're leaving the striped wall...the colors are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so ambitious. Love the fabric choices, funny about the nix on the tools and trucks, lol. Can't wait to see it all pulled together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to see it all finished up. I love your fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover