Thursday, September 4, 2014

Driveway Veggies Update: The End Of August

I think we fared pretty well with our little driveway veggie experiment this year.  We've got tomatoes coming out our ears for the first time ever.


The potted ones have done okay.  We've eaten off of them, but the ones in the ground have definitely done the best.


The cucumbers, although they got mildew early on, produced a ton.  I yanked two plants a couple weeks ago, 'cause I was tired of lookin' at 'em, but I'm still getting fruit off the one that I didn't yank.  And the lemon cucumbers are just now slowing down.  I put beet and chard starts in where I pulled the two plants in the corners.


This plant was the healthiest of the three, so you can see why I didn't want to look at the other two anymore.


The lemon cucumber plants look even worse than when I took this photo, so they'll probably get yanked tomorrow.


They sure did produce like crazy, though.


My baby beets.


My Japanese eggplant have done great.  I had two in the big container and one in the ground. The plants themselves kept losing all their leaves, and they've been ugly and unhealthy looking as all get out, but all three produced a ton.  The regular eggplant, on the other hand, hasn't had a single fruit.  But it's bushy and green as can be.  Go figure.  



This is the one in the ground.
Those yellowing leaves are long gone.




This is the healthy one, in between two basil plants.
But like I said, no fruit.


Out of the nine corn starts in the little pot I bought, six grew.  The giant cherry tomato shaded the other three too much.  We got five ears of corn, but I think I left them on too long.  :(  They were super starchy.  We ate 'em anyway.




My watermelon attempt was a fail.
I put one plant down in the parking strip and one in the driveway strip between the arborvitae.
The latter got one melon.
He's so little.  :)




Baby, helpin' Mama pick tomatoes.







We've had a bowl like this every other day for a couple of weeks.






This is the first year I've put a little sitting area in the driveway.
Ya know, 'cause of the fantastic pool.
I stuck my squirrel-chewed chair cushions inside some coffee bean bags. 






Here's what the rest of the driveway is lookin' like this time of year.
Yes, I need a screen door.




The fuchsias in the window box didn't do much this year, so I stuck some begonias in late.





This silly thing must know the weather is cooling off.



This turned into a random mixed pot this year.






This fuchsia has probably done the best out of all of them this year.








And that's it for the driveway update.
It's almost Friday!
I've got first day of school pics coming next week.
As soon as I get them off my camera.
Have a great weekend!
P.S.  I'm eating a ChocoTaco right now.
Uh huh.


Shameless plug alert:  
Just a little reminder that you can purchase my floral photographs in my Etsy shop.
If you see one in a post that isn't in the shop, shoot me an email and I'd be more than happy to list it for ya.
The Dad will thank you for helping to support my plant addiction.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/RindyMae

Please see my sidebar for the parties I link up to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover