Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Herb & Garlic Grilled Trout

Do you remember me mentioning my goal of eating fish at least once a week?  Um, yeah, that hasn't really been workin' out.  AKA, epic fail.

I just can't get excited about it.  The Dad and The Kid love it, though. I think The Girl is kinda like me, take it or leave it.  I know it's good for me, so I'm restarting the goal.

Which leads me to tonight's dinner.  A friend of ours caught some trout a couple weeks ago and brought some over to share.  I drug it out of the freezer and doctored it up the same way I do with a slab of salmon - which I just so happen to love.

Here's what you need:

Fresh fish
Fresh tomatoes
Fresh garlic
Fresh lemon
Fresh herbs
Olive oil
Salt and pepper

Here's what I did:

I don't have a fancy fish pan for the grill, so I always use the top of my broiler pan.
I lined the bottom with foil, just so all the goodies weren't dripping through to the counter. 
I removed it before putting the pan on the grill.
I forgot this time, but normally I spray the pan with nonstick spray.

Lay the fish, (whole, steak or filet), out on the top of the pan.
Season the inside with salt and pepper.
Lay lemon slices, half or whole, depending on the size of the fish, inside.
Drizzle the outside with olive oil and season again with salt and  pepper.


Scatter fresh, smashed garlic cloves around fish.
Slice tomatoes in half, or use cherry tomatoes, and place around fish.
Lay fresh herbs over everything.
I used everything I had in the garden except basil and mint.
Tarragon, thyme, oregano, sage, and marjoram.
Drizzle everything with olive oil again and season again with salt and pepper.







Isn't it pretty?  
It's really pretty on salmon too.

At this point, you can bake, broil, or grill.  
I've done them all.
Tonight, we grilled.  
The Dad put the pan over direct heat for about 7 minutes, then moved it off to the side, with the grill lid closed, for about 13 minutes more.
They were perfectly cooked.



We had whole wheat pasta and ciabatta bread to go with the trout and tomatoes.

Here's dinner on my plate:







4 comments:

  1. Okay, you are going to have to stop with the fantastic food because my to-try list is falling off the page. I love trout, even better than salmon (though hubbie is on the same salmon page as you) and this looks so tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so pretty! I had the same goal - fish once a week - and it's so hard (not sure why...) But thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mindy so good to find you!! Yum That looks so delish!!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    Come over & Spread the word to enter my Dress Giveaway from The Shabby Apple!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hubby and I love fresh fish.... and this looks soooo good!!Can't wait to try it.. =)

    Thanks so much for sharing at the ALL STARS BLOCK PARTY!!! Hope to see you again next week..

    Thanks again,
    carri
    simplydonewright.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover