Monday, July 18, 2011

Indonesian Beef Curry

I've never been a huge fan of curry.  Well, that isn't true, I love green curry.  But the regular 'ol yellow type has never really excited me.  In large doses anyway.

So why, then, did I rip out a recipe for curry?  I dunno.  'Cause it sounded good.  And it was.  Really good.  And The Dad thought so too.  As well as the kids.  Everybody gets some curry!  Okay, so clearly I was having an Oprah moment there.

This was so quick to put together and guess what, it's a crockpot meal.  Yep, set it and forget it.  Which I did.  Yesterday.  And then we went to the neighborhood fair and ended up eating out.  So the pot had a chance to set overnight and get even more flavorful.

This one is from Family Circle.

Here's the recipe with my notes:

Indonesian Beef Curry

2 Tbsp veggie oil
2 pounds beef chuck, cut into 2-inch chunks (I used a bottom round roast)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 large onion, peeled and thinly sliced
1 pound small potatoes, about 2 inches in diameter, quartered (I used regular russets)
1/4 pound peeled baby carrots (I used regular carrots, cut up)
1 can (13.6-oz) light coconut milk
2 Tbsp curry powder
1 Tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
3 large pitas or flatbreads, cut into wedges
Chopped parsley, low-fat yogurt and lime wedges (optional)


Coat slow cooker bowl with nonstick cooking spray.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  
Season beef with 1/4 tsp of the salt and the pepper and add to skillet. 
Brown all sides.
You may need to do this in two batches. 
Transfer meat to slow cooker.


Layer in onion, potatoes and carrots.


In a bowl, whisk together coconut milk, curry, soy sauce, ginger, garlic powder, and cayenne.


Pour over beef and veggies.


 Cover and cook on HIGH for 6 hours or LOW for 8 hours.
Gently stir in remaining 1/4 tsp salt.
Serve over flatbread wedges with parsley, yogurt and lime, if desired.

I served ours over brown rice.  
I skipped the yogurt. 
We had a green salad alongside.

Here's dinner:






8 comments:

  1. Mouth Watering!... So trying this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ian hates curry BUT I LOVE it..so I win... I want to make this! love the finished dish with the garnish. Looks so top chefish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darn, that looks amazing! I love curry - and in a slow cooker? Yes please!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm! That looks so yummy! I love curry!!
    Thanks for stopping by BPPackages today and for following! :) Looking forward to following along with you too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Few things win of my heart like the slow cooker. It's like a magic meal that suddenly appears at suppertime. This looks great, as usual. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love love love curry! this looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Intersting take... typically cow's milk (the yogurt), flat bread and soy sauce (Indonesians use a sweet soy sauce--kecap manis) are not an indonesidan ingredients but I can see how this could work. For a more traditional flavor, try subbing the milk and soy sauce with lemon grass and a couple kafir lime leaves if you can get them. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I have lemon grass in the garden and the kafir leaves are available at some local stores. I love those flavors, so I'm sure it's delicious!

      Delete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover