Monday, December 17, 2012

Homemade Sweet Chili Sauce


I've got an easy one for ya today, kids.  Super easy.  No chopping, no nothin'.  Throw everything into the food processor, then dump it into a pan and boil it for 15 minutes.  Done.  You'll be dunkin' your eggrolls in deliciousness and saucin' up your steamed rice in no time.



I first saw the recipe last year and came across it again when I was cruising my Pinterest boards for gift ideas. We have two Christmas gift exchanges that we're a part of every December and both require the gifts to be homemade.

For both, I embroidered on some store-bought napkins and then stuck in a jar of this.

The recipe states that it's super hot and that you should cut the ribs and seeds out of the peppers if you want it milder.  I threw the whole peppers in, minus the stems, and don't think my triple batch was overly hot at all.  Even tasting it straight out of the pot like it warns you shouldn't do.  I'm sure it depends on the peppers.  I found red jalapenos at my Ghetto grocery store, but I'm sure the Serrano peppers are easier to come by, unless it's summer and you've got your garden stocked.  I think it would be yummy with any pepper, actually.

Okay, I'll stop rambling and give you the link so you can make your own.  Go here.  I tripled the recipe and got three medium canning jars full, plus two-thirds of an empty corn syrup bottle that I stuck in the fridge for us.

I used some heavy paper that I had in my stash to cover the lids.  If my printer wasn't habitually out of ink, I would have printed out some pretty tags.  As it were, I used some more paper tied around the neck and just wrote on the back.


Here they are at my house:









There ya go, a gift that you can throw together today, or just whip up a batch for yourself.
We always have a bottle in the fridge and I'll be refilling it with homemade from now on.


5 comments:

  1. Fabulous idea, I never thought of making my own sweet chili sauce, but my husband and I love the stuff so I'll have to give the recipe a go!

    Mal @ The Chic Geek

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how easy this seems. And so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a gift I would love to receive. I love the color of it. Also your patterned jar tops are a nice touch :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mindy, the jars look so cute! I love the color of the sauce and the papers you picked to match it. Great gift idea...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely recipe--we will have to give this a go. And I love how you decorated your jars--I love orange shades with blues--very pretty! We hosted a small party last night and had fun.

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover