Thursday, October 30, 2014

The Kitchen Remodel: Phase 19

You guys forgot all about the kitchen remodel, didn't ya?  Well, it isn't done yet, ahem, but I did finally commit to a finish for the back of the peninsula.


I wavered back and forth between doing some sort of faux board and batten, painted wide planks like the ceiling, and different colored stained wide planks.
I even looked into the contact and wallpapers that look like planked wood.
Then, one day, I remembered the stack of lath from tearing out all the lath and plaster walls.
I ran out to the shed and grabbed a couple pieces, had The Dad hold them up while I stood back to look, and 15 minutes later he had the nail gun out.




They already had some variation in color, so I didn't even have to stain them.
We just went over them with the sander real quick, to knock the biggest slivers off.




You like our helper?

The Dad made vertical lines to mark the studs, adjusted the outlet box so that the lath would sit behind it, and that was pretty much it for prep.
We left the baseboard up because the lath is just barely thicker.
If we had mounted it on top of the lath, it wouldn't have wrapped and met up properly with the piece of baseboard on the end of the peninsula.

You can see here how the reveal is just barely different.




To finish the edge, The Dad dug out a piece of trim that had come off of the original kitchen cabinets.
He just sanded the paint off and cut it to size.








This is one piece shy of being done.




I can't remember why, but he didn't get that last piece cut until the next day.







I didn't take any fancy "after" photos because the trim wasn't finished yet.
But it is now!
All the baseboards and quarter round are officially nailed up, caulked, and painted.
In the dining room AND the kitchen.
Woot, woot.
Plus, he got the trim up around the ceiling in the dining room.
Ya know, 'cause we only planked the ceiling in there two years ago.
Ha!
The trim made a huuuuge difference, though, and really finished it up.
I'll get some pictures of everything for another post.

So now, the only things left to do, before a FINISHED kitchen, are backsplash, outlet and switch cover plates, plank the ceiling, ceiling trim, and install the lights over the peninsula.
Sooooo close I can taste it.


Please see my sidebar for the parties I link up to.




8 comments:

  1. Awesome. What a great brainstorm you had there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool you! Don't you just love when the process magically comes together and you have everything you need right under your nose! It is stunning! I absolutely love the texture and I think mixing up materials is so the way to go! Happy almost Halloween! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a perfect solution, Mindy. Just a bit of rustic in a refined makeover. I LOVE it. Your little helper is really cute, too! I bet you are happy to see this heading to a finish. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. You married Bob Villa trapped in Mel Gibson's body.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful job. Your hubby is so talented. I love the little helper too. Wood has such a warm feeling about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great, Mindy. The texture of the wood is appealing!
    It reminds me of something that your friends would do in their home. ((The friends you shared about a few weeks ago)).
    We added wainscoting and trim to our kitchen island a few years ago, and I love it. It's simple touches like these that can add charm!
    It will be fun to see your kitchen when ALL your projects are finished. It doesn't seem like you're too far from being done :0)
    Have a Happy Halloween!!
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover