I'll start with the area right outside the fence.
I haven't been happy with this area the last couple of years, so I finally went down there and ripped a bunch of stuff out.
The Plumbago on both ends was threatening to take over, so I spent several hours digging all of it out.
Once I got it all out, I put two small pieces back in.
I also ripped out some other trailers that weren't doing anything, as well as a ton of Snow In Summer, that also likes to be a bit bossy.
I left the Aubretia and some Creeping Phlox, although it never does anything for me.
I stuck in a two pieces of a new Campanula with limey green leaves called 'Dickson's Gold', and two new Saxifraga.
One is 'Highlander Rose', the other is 'Touran Deep Red.'
I also put in a new Heather that stays low, but spreads wide, Calluna vulgaris 'Flamingo.'
I'll add a few more things as they jump into my cart this season.
I uncovered the existing buried rocks, and added a few more.
I've never done anything with the strip that's level to the sidewalk.
Well, that's not true, years ago I put in Bishop's Weed.
I spent the next several years ripping it all out.
Talk about naughty. It climbed right up into the main part of the garden with it's naughty little runners.
It still comes up on occasion.
Anyway, since then I've always just mulched it.
Alyssum comes up solid in there from reseeding, as well as the occasional Feverfew.
If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd take 'em.
Ground cover of some sort?
It's mostly just a weed and cigarette butt collector at this point.
Here are some closeups of the new babies I stuck in.
I just bought one 4" pot of each, and other than the Heather, I divided them in half to get two.
The existing Creeping Phlox, with one measly flower.
I don't know why I can't get this stuff to grow for me.
The Aubretia, on the other hand, is quite happy down there.
On the driveway side of the fence, the climbing rose, that gets every disease known to man, is comin' along.
I threaten to rip it out every year.
I took a few more tree pics.
I couldn't help myself.
I did a little bit of rearranging down in the parking strip.
Ripped out that nasty Aster that the birds planted last year.
It's pretty, but that stuff is awful.
I planted Gladiola bulbs for the first time ever.
I've been told I have a Granny Garden on more than one occasion, so I figured I'd make it official.
I also planted a Peony from the main garden, moved a grass, and stole some of the variegated Iris for the backyard.
The Artichoke under the wooden cage is up, but if it's as pathetic as it was last year, it's comin' out.
Oh yeah, I also put in a piece of a red Lobelia that my mom gave me.
The Candytuft I planted last year is bloomin' its little heart out.
Both the Scabiosa made it through winter and are aready puttin' out buds.
A competition to see who can be the naughtiest.
Croscosmia is tryin' to fight its way through the two bullies.
Both of the Rhubarb plants are leafing out.
And last, a few pictures of the babies in the driveway planter.
Radishes and garlic, both of which were put in a few weeks ago.
I also have tomato volunteers coming up already in the pots they were in last year.
It's amazing how fast things grow this time of year.
After being gone for five days, the backyard looks completely different.
I, of course, was out there with my camera this morning.
Post to come.