Sunday, June 22, 2014

Oven-Baked Berry Pancake

We had breakfast for dinner last week and I tried a new recipe out of the Better Homes and Gardens magazine.  Soooooooo goooooood.  So good.  And super easy.  I may forgo traditional pancakes for this from now on.


The recipe calls for just blueberries, but I threw in some strawberries and raspberries, as well.  It didn't call for any spices, so I added what I like, in addition to some vanilla.

Here's the recipe with my notes:

Oven-Baked Berry Pancake
Printable Recipe

1 C all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp plus 1 tsp granulated sugar, divided
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp course salt
3/4 C whole milk (I used vanilla almond milk)
1 large egg
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted, plus 1 Tbsp for pan
1 C blueberries (I also added a handful of garden strawberries and raspberries)
I added Cinnamon, Nutmeg, and All-Spice to taste, about 1 tsp of each
I added 1 Tbsp vanilla
Confectioners' sugar, for serving (I skipped this out of laziness)
Maple syrup, for serving

Preheat oven to 375.  Place a 10-inch cast-iron skillet (or other nonstick oven proof pan) in oven.  Whisk together flour, 3 Tbsp granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.  Whisk together milk, egg, and melted butter in another bowl.  Whisk milk mixture into flour mixture until just combined.

Remove skillet from oven and add remaining 1 Tbsp butter, swirling to coat pan.  Pour in batter and smooth top.  Sprinkle evenly with berries and remaining 1 tsp of sugar (I used cinnamon-sugar for the top).

Bake until golden brown and cooked through, about 25 minutes. Remove from oven; let cool 5 minutes before dusting with powdered sugar and serving with syrup.







We had whipped cream for ours, too.  :)  So stinkin' good.  And you could use the same base recipe for all different flavor combos.  Apple, pumpkin puree in the fall, grated zucchini, carrots, or parsnips, dried fruit and nuts. I'm all over this one.  


Please see my sidebar for the parties I link up to.


5 comments:

  1. That looks really good and loaded with yummy berries, never baked pancakes before. I do have a rusty cast iron pan though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - cast iron good, rusty cast iron bad. Scrub that bad boy up and season it! I had my cast iron pans for yeeeeaaars before I ever used them. Now they're my favorite for a ton of things. This baked pancake was deeeelicious and totally worth the elbow grease. :)

      Delete
  2. Pinning this right now pal! This has our name all over it! Seriously!!! Wishing you an outstanding week! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, this looks great and is oh so timely. My cousin in coming to stay next weekend and I never know what to make for breakfast. Sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, looks delicious! Wonder if I could figure out a way to use almond flour instead...

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover