Remember that painting frenzy I was in? Well, I finally committed to two colors this weekend. Saturday afternoon, the wild hair (hare?) hit and I sent The Dad to Home Depot for paint (there may have been a few more things on that list). I started taking things off the walls in the master bathroom. Bye bye beige.
Here's some in-progress shots:
And of course, no project is complete without my two little helpers:
When I was trying to decide on colors for the two rooms, I was kinda using this curtain as a stepping point:
There used to be white ones up:
Then I had this one up, thinking I was committed to it:
But the longer it hung there, the more I decided I didn't love it. I liked the colors, but the brown background was a little too dark for the dungeon room. So Sunday afternoon I headed out to JoAnn Fabric's - paint chips in hand - to see if I could find something I liked better. Ah yes, another project. I found one I liked and also found a $3 remnant to make a new curtain for the bathroom window as well. The old one was plain white.
Now let me just say, I suck at sewing. I inevitably end up ripping out seams from mistakes, sewing something on backward, etc. You'll hear people say, "Well, I can sew a straight line". I can't do that either. I can't even cut a straight line. But, in the end, I still manage to somehow get it all figured out. Enough to wrangle out curtains, pillows, duvet covers, etc. Basic right angle-shaped objects. This time though, I really didn't want to drag out the sewing machine. It was close to dinner time and I have to set up shop at the dining room table. So I busted out the Stitch Witchery instead.
Fold over where you want your hem and iron away:
|Make two folds so there's a nice finish on the back side if it will show. This is the first one.|
|Here's the second fold - make sure the top has a pocket big enough for the rod to fit through, if necessary.|
|The magic goods.|
And here's the fifteen minute curtain:
Then I made the two for the french doors. With a break in between to get dinner on the table. In the middle of the second one, I ran out of Stitch Witchery. Grrr. So it was either run to the store or bust out the sewing machine. I did the latter. I put a rod pocket in the top of both of them, but then I remembered I had some clip rings. So I dug those out.
This is what they look like:
I clipped them on the top like this:
Then I hung them up like this:
THEN, this morning, I was looking at one of the blogs I read everyday and guess what her post was about? No-sew curtains using Stitch Witchery and clip rings to hang them. AND, she showed a super cool trick to make them hang better. Pinch-and-clip is what she called it. Here's my version:
|Pinch from the back and attach clip to the pinched part.|
Voila, you get pleats! Very exciting. Yeah, it doesn't take much to amaze me.
Here they are with their mini makeover:
Now, here's the almost finished bathroom pics:
|I haven't hung everything back up yet. You can see the bird pic frame on the floor got a new coat of spray paint. Black.|
|There were three cube shelves hanging here before. I decided to switch it up.|
|Twenty five bonus points for the person who can tell me what this shelf was in it's previous life. P.S. The shelf isn't crooked, my photo skills are. P.P.S. That's a sneak peek at the bedroom color.|
Thar ya have it. That's how my weekend was spent. I also worked on something else, but it's not finished, so I'll save it for later. Now I need a weekend to paint our bedroom......