Monday, March 28, 2011

Weekend Warrior(s)

Note:  Just in case you think it's the most beautiful color in the world and must have it in your life, the bathroom paint is Behr, Scotland Road. 


Remember that painting frenzy I was in?  Well, I finally committed to two colors this weekend.  Saturday afternoon, the wild hair (hare?) hit and I sent The Dad to Home Depot for paint (there may have been a few more things on that list).  I started taking things off the walls in the master bathroom.  Bye bye beige.



Here's some in-progress shots:







And of course, no project is complete without my two little helpers:








When I was trying to decide on colors for the two rooms, I was kinda using this curtain as a stepping point:







There used to be white ones up:





Then I had this one up, thinking I was committed to it:





But the longer it hung there, the more I decided I didn't love it.  I liked the colors, but the brown background was a little too dark for the dungeon room.   So Sunday afternoon I headed out to JoAnn Fabric's - paint chips in hand - to see if I could find something I liked better.  Ah yes, another project.  I found one I liked and also found a $3 remnant to make a new curtain for the bathroom window as well.  The old one was plain white.


Now let me just say, I suck at sewing.  I inevitably end up ripping out seams from mistakes, sewing something on backward, etc.  You'll hear people say, "Well, I can sew a straight line".  I can't do that either.  I can't even cut a straight line.  But, in the end, I still manage to somehow get it all figured out.  Enough to wrangle out curtains, pillows, duvet covers, etc.  Basic right angle-shaped objects.  This time though, I really didn't want to drag out the sewing machine.  It was close to dinner time and I have to set up shop at the dining room table.  So I busted out the Stitch Witchery instead.


Fold over where you want your hem and iron away:


Make two folds so there's a nice finish on the back side if it will show.  This is the first one.

Here's the second fold - make sure the top has a pocket big enough for the rod to fit through, if necessary.

Another shot.

The magic goods.



And here's the fifteen minute curtain:

Ooooh, Ahhhhh.



Then I made the two for the french doors.  With a break in between to get dinner on the table.  In the middle of the second one, I ran out of Stitch Witchery.  Grrr.  So it was either run to the store or bust out the sewing machine.  I did the latter.  I put a rod pocket in the top of both of them, but then I remembered I had some clip rings.  So I dug those out.

This is what they look like:




I clipped them on the top like this:



Then I hung them up like this:




THEN, this morning, I was looking at one of the blogs I read everyday and guess what her post was about?  No-sew curtains using Stitch Witchery and clip rings to hang them.  AND, she showed a super cool trick to make them hang better. Pinch-and-clip is what she called it.  Here's my version:

Pinch from the back and attach clip to the pinched part.

Voila, you get pleats!  Very exciting.  Yeah, it doesn't take much to amaze me.



Here they are with their mini makeover:






So there's your, I-don't-need-a-sewing-machine-to-make-curtains tutorial.


Now, here's the almost finished bathroom pics:



I haven't hung everything back up yet.  You can see the bird pic frame on the floor got a new coat of spray paint.  Black.



There were three cube shelves hanging here before.  I decided to switch it up.


Twenty five bonus points for the person who can tell me what this shelf was in it's previous life.  P.S.  The shelf isn't crooked, my photo skills are.  P.P.S.  That's a sneak peek at the bedroom color.


Thar ya have it.  That's how my weekend was spent.  I also worked on something else, but it's not finished, so I'll save it for later.  Now I need a weekend to paint our bedroom......

4 comments:

  1. Stumbled onto your blog when researching no sew curtains. Your curtains turned out great! Thanks for the curtain clip hint. What also caught my eye was the gorgeous fabric that you found! Would you happen to have any brand and/or pattern info to share? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Samantha! Thanks for coming by! I dug through a pile yesterday thinking I had a piece of the salvage edge that I could get a name off of, but couldn't find it. I will dig a little deeper today to see if I can find it for ya. It was from Joann's and I'm almost positive it was a Better Homes pattern, but I'll see if I can find a name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry Samantha, I dug and dug and couldn't find a thread of that fabric left anywhere. I must have used it all on the curtains. I'll be headin' to Joann's at some point in the coming week, so I'll make sure to write the name down when I'm there. I'll put it in a note at the beginning of this post. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip on how to use the ring clips. I'm visiting my mom and sewing a new curtain for her bathroom. If I were at home I'd have just looked up in one of my sewing books for how to sew curtains. But without my books I was lost so I took to the internet. Glad that I did. I found your hint. I plan on using it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover