Monday, August 8, 2011

The Dungeon: Makeover Part II

Well, we wrapped up our work last night with a ton of cutting, painting, and calking left to do.  We just ran out of time and daylight.

Yesterday I showed you pictures of the first coat of wall color and the trim color under the chair rail.  I finished painting both sections while The Dad cut boards to nail up.  I decided to go with a board and batten look under the chair rail.  I didn't want to have to rip out the baseboards, so his goal was to find wood thin enough that it wouldn't hang over the edge.  I also requested pre-primed for the sake of saving some time. 

Yeah, they make it and it's in the trim section of Home Depot.  For $1 a linear foot.  No thank you.  Back to the drawing board.  The Dad wandered around the store while making several calls home and we ended up with a big bundle of lathe.  $13 bucks for the whole lot.  MUCH better.  But, MUCH more work.  He had to sand the side that would show as well as the edges.  Plus, they needed to be primed.  Ah well, ya get what ya pay for.  And we're poor, so we won't pay much.

He got two walls nailed up and I filled holes, sanded and painted.  Because the wood is so rough, we ended up calking along the edges to make them blend in with the wall better.  Then I put another coat of trim paint on. 

So as of last night, two walls are finished.  The addition part of the room never had chair rail put up, so that will need to be cut and installed, as well as the lathe pieces.  Then more nail filling, calking, and painting.  Which most likely won't be done for several days, considering The Dad has a real job and all.  Rude.

Here's some progress shots of where we're at so far:
(Again, sorry about the terrible photos, but it IS the dungeon after all.)






So since I'm waitin' on The Dad to do his part, so that I can finish doing my part, I decided to work on something else for the room today.
Head on back for that post.


5 comments:

  1. Ooooh,...this is getting exciting. Don't you hate when those real jobs get in the way of getting things done, lol. Can't wait to see tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great! I'd love to do it in one of our rooms too. . .I guess with a little work we can do it on the cheap too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out great!
    Hello, new follower here! I would love to have you link up with my Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week!
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/09/clever-chicks-blog-hop-2-featured-post.html

    I hope to see you there!
    Cheers!
    Kathy
    The Chicken Chick

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover