Monday, November 4, 2013

One-Skillet Chicken Parmesan


I have several different recipes for Chicken Parmesan that I make. A couple of them are baked, one is breaded in Panko, another is crushed up Triscuits, and they're all good.  But this is by far the quickest, easiest, and uses the least amount of ingredients.  And it's delicious to boot.  Plus, only one pan to wash!


I made spaghetti to serve with it, but polenta would also be really, really good.

The recipe uses three cans of tomatoes, and I generally just use what I've got on hand.  You can mix and match crushed, diced, and sauce.  I used two petite diced and one sauce this time around and it made for a chunkier sauce.  If you prefer it saucier, swap the ratio.

Typically, you'd use Parmesan as the cheese, hence the Chicken "Parmesan", ha, but I had some mozzarella I needed to use up, so I grated that up for the top.  It didn't suck at all.

Here's the recipe with my notes:

One-Skillet Chicken Parmesan
Printable Recipe

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded and cut into serving sized pieces
1/2 C flour
Salt and pepper
1/4 C olive oil
1 Tbsp butter
5 - 6 cloves minced garlic
1 medium onion, diced
3/4 C wine (red or white works)
3 (14.5-oz) cans crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, or a combo
2 Tbsp sugar
1/4 C chopped fresh parsley, divided
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
1/2 Tbsp garlic powder
1 1/2 C freshly grated Parmesan, divided
1 lb pasta cooked al dente or polenta, if desired

Combine flour with salt and pepper to taste.  Season chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper, then dredge them in the seasoned flour.  Set aside.

Heat oil and butter in a large skillet on medium-high.  Fry chicken until golden on both sides.  


Remove from skillet.  You'll need to cook the chicken in batches, unless you have a ginormous pan, so I like to lay them out on a cooling rack over a sheet pan, to keep them crispy, as the others cook.



Once all your chicken is cooked, add the onions and garlic to the pan. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.


 Pour in wine and scrape skillet, getting all the yummy bits off the bottom.  Cook for 3 minutes, or until liquid is reduced by half.


Stir in tomatoes, sugar, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste.  


Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.  Add 1/8 cup parsley and 1/2 cup Parmesan.
Arrange chicken on top of sauce and sprinkle remaining cheese on top.  



Cover skillet and simmer until cheese melts and chicken is hot.  



Sprinkle with remaining parsley.  Put pasta on plates, top with chicken, sauce, parsley, and a wee bit more Parmesan cheese.

Add a mixed green salad and you've got dinner.

Here's mine on my plate:









I took all those pictures, then realized I forgot to make it snow.




Delicious.


Please see my sidebar for the parties I link up to.




4 comments:

  1. Mmmmm,....I think Italian cuisine is my favourite and this looks fabulous. Making me hungry even though my belly is entirely full from dinner, lol. That's a real talent (on your part, not mine)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mindy, YUM. I can smell how good it looks. Did that make sense? Of course it did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I could just jump into the computer, it looks delish and I think the photography is amazing...I will be having this really soon, thanks for the great post, love it...I am your newest follower and look forward to coming back for a visit....again and again...

    ReplyDelete
  4. really you have good site and provide unique article, we wish more, thanks

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover