Monday, June 24, 2013

Father's Day 2013


My sister and I sent the boys on an adventure this year for Father's Day.  We knew when we announced their gift, it could go one of two ways.  They'd either love us, or hate us.  They ended up being pretty stoked.


We sent them to City Scape, which is a scaled down version of The Amazing Race.  They started downtown with a pencil, some paper, ten dollars each in singles, and some bottled water.  My sister and I made them matching t-shirts with a logo saying PTA Presidents, which stands for Portland Tailgating Association.  (They came up with that ridiculousness during a football game get-together last fall.)  They were allowed to use public transportation only.  And smart phones were allowed for taking required pictures and looking up answers to clues and riddles, that would lead them to the next check point or destination where they'd have a task to complete.  They only sent me one of the required pictures from the excursion.  They had to have a photo on a modern day velocipede.  Aka, bicycle.  Not to be confused with the gay pride parade festivities going on the same day, although, they do make a pretty cute couple.  Gotta love Portland.


The whole thing was five hours.  And according to them, they ran the entire time.  Like, full-on, full speed, running.  There were 150 teams of two.  The buses and Max were filled to capacity any time they tried to catch one.  So they ran.  And ran.  And ran.  LOL

Anywho, while they were off gallivanting around, I hit up our neighborhood farmer's market and got some stuff for our meal. 

For snacks, we did berries and goat cheese with farmer's market honey.  Pea and mint hummus, also from the market (amazing) with snap peas and radishes.  Salami from the market with nectarines and gruyere.  And bread to pile everything on.  Needless to say, they were hungry when they finally stumbled in at 5:00.



















The girls drank Moscato and I picked up some fun local beers for the boys.


Dinner was deeeelicious.
 My parents brought a salmon that they bought from the Indians in Cascade Locks that morning.  
Now that's a fresh fishy.  
With dinner, my mom also made a rice pilaf, I brought some garlic scapes, and my sister made a saute of sliced fresh red cabbage and Brussels sprouts (so good) and a salad.
One of these days I'll share the salmon recipe.











For dessert, the kids ate leftover Mario cupcakes.
Well, some of the kids just ate frosting.





 And for the adults, I made cheesecake in a jar.
Uh-huh.
Cheesecake.  
In a jar.
Chocolate and plain.
With fresh picked Oregon strawberries and goat's milk caramel from the farmer's market.
Um, that stuff is so flippin' good, it's hard not to just eat it with a spoon.
And yes, I will be posting the cheesecake recipes.




As if it would last in the house that long.










And what do you do to end a day like that?
Turn Baby into a human turtle pinata, of course.






My niece had to get in on the action.



 I'm totally kidding.
No babies were hurt in the making of this post.
This is what I meant.




Do you think we've scarred her for life?
 






Nah, I hear the third child is pretty tough.

Happy Father's Day, again, to the best daddy ever.
And to the other one who'll do in a pinch.  :)





Oh yeah, and they came in first in a contest where The Dad had to put a wadded up, frozen solid, t-shirt on the BIL.
They won entry tickets to next year's race.
They've already started training.



10 comments:

  1. That sounds like so much fun! And that meal looks scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a hoot! Y'all must be the most fun family on the block!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheese cake in a jar! What?? Will you mail me some?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome!!! I need to be more creative for fathers day next year! My goodness do you all know how to have a rocking time!!! And cheesecake in a jar?!?! Your killing me!!!! Sounds like a blast!! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun day. And the eats look fabulous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful, fun-filled day. If they did all that running I am surprised they could stay awake to eat....lol Great food and great family fun-what could be better- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks like such a fun day! And yummmmm cajeta. I made it once and it was incredibly addicting, such a rich and delicious flavor to it :) Your yard is beautiful, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Um, WOW! That food all looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bah ha ha,...I don't know where to start. Such an amazing gift idea - those two crack me up on that bicycle. And yes, I think Baby will have a permanent scar, but I predict that you will scar her more and worse in the future so that this doesn't even register, lol. The meal, as always!!!!!, looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. THat looks like so much fun--and I'm talking about all of that food!! It looks like the boys had fun too! ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover