Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Reaching

Once upon a time, I stumbled upon a gardening blog called, Gardening With Grace.  I learned she lived in my home state, and started following along as she posted lust-worthy photos of her yard.  Eventually, we were commenting back and forth on one another's posts, and I learned, among other things, that she has a daughter named Mindy.  Currently, she's not in the same city as I am, but I learned she used to live in the same neighborhood that I'm in now.

Blogging time went on, plant posts came and went, and I learned that, in addition to her gardening blog, she had a writing blog, as well.  So, of course, I started following along there, too.  I learned of her dream to publish a book.  I followed along as her dream crept closer.  And then the day was here.  Her dream was a reality and her book was for sale.  I was super excited to read it, but hadn't bit the bullet and ordered it yet.  Then, last week, I won a copy in a giveaway.  SO EXCITING!  I was finally going to get to read her memoir that she had hinted at for months.


I received the book in the mail on Friday.  I finished the last 20 pages Sunday morning.  You guys, it was SO GOOD.  It was heart-breaking, and horribly sad, but it's so beautifully written.  I loved reading it.  I was in a hurry to finish it, but at the same time, I didn't want it to end.

The courage it took her to share her story with the world is beyond amazing to me.  I kept having to remind myself that it was a real human, telling real life facts, and not a fictional story, being narrated by an author who was dragging his main character through hell and back. 

Grace doesn't know I'm writing this post.  I hope telling her story has helped her heal.  After knowing her through photos of her yard, and emails telling her of my plant envy, I would urge you to pop on over and get to know her, too.  And if you'd like to read her story, you can buy it here:  Reaching, A Memoir


I was in no way compensated for writing this post. 
I just think Grace is pretty darned awesome.
 I love a good book and wanted to pass it on, hoping you'll love it, too.





3 comments:

  1. I know now!! You sneaky girl. Thank you so much for your accolades. They mean the world to me. It's been purely delightful getting to know you and seeing your enviable talents on display here on your blog. You are a jewel. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds so powerful and I will be ordering it. People always amaze me with their courage and strength. Thanks for sharing friend. Cheers to Grace for publishing her book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, "My Garden Diaries." I hope you enjoy the book. Please feel free to email me. grace@gracepete.com.

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover