Tuesday, April 28, 2015

The Backyard: 4/24/15

For the observant ones, yes, these pictures were taken the day after the ones from my last backyard post. How is it possible to find so many new things to photograph in just a days time?


My Alaskan fern is just starting to unfurl.




I had said I was gonna to take pictures of the whack job I did on the Butterfly Bush, then totally forgot.
I remembered the next day.


It should have been pruned after it bloomed last year.  Or in the fall.  Or early this spring at the latest.
Oh well.
It was at least five feet above the fence, so it needed it.



It's like a natural sculpture now, right?


The new bed up against the house has filled in a lot since I last shared photos.



The Lily Of The Valley is comin' on hot and heavy.





The Salal, that started out as a two-leaf start from my mom, is blooming.
He's so cute.


A new Echeveria jumped in my cart recently.
This one is 'Perle von Nurnberg.'
I stuck it in my birdbath planter.







I took some pics of the three trays of seedlings I started.
I've actually moved a few to individual pots, but some are still just barely comin'.





And last, my poor purple rhody has got the creepin' crud.
I'm not sure what I'm going to do.
The leaves are horribly ugly, so I think my only option is to cut it to the ground and start over.
Which I DO NOT want to do.
I haven't made a decision yet.
Pull the plug, or keep it on life support?




He's gonna bloom in spite of it, so I have some time to make a decision.
It helps hide my trashy, compost/potting/pile-all-the-junk, corner.
Ugh.
It sucks.



4 comments:

  1. Hi Mindy!
    Your last 3 posts have just been amazing!! Your garden is just exploding with blooms and color! I wish we had your weather down here . . . perhaps my garden would look like yours!?
    Thank you so much for responding to me regarding shade plants/flowers. I smiled as I read your suggestions, as I have all of them in my garden now :0)
    I hope you're having a great start to your week!
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. You certainly do have some amazing gardens there, Mindy. They are just full of life!!! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pull the plug on the Rhodie and try growing something you've never tried before. There are so many worthy shrubs! Great shots of the fern unfurling. I love that stage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suppose Alison is right. You should just bite the bullet and let 'er rip, especially if the infestation will require toxic chemicals to eradicate. It looks like it might be spider mites, right? Sometimes a strong gush of water on the undersides of the leaves is all it takes to kill the little monsters. ... I feel your pain. Isn't it amazing how quickly things pop up and go to town in our gardens? I'm just in awe of nature and renewed life. Your photos are excellent as always. I did a similar whack job on my Pacific Wax Myrtle last year after all the winter die-back. I hung a few rusty things on the remaining trunk. It's called, making lemonade, or something like that. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover