Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Angel Food Cake With Fresh Berries and Lemon Curd

I survived the big dinner party at our house.  I'm so neurotically organized, that the whole food portion went really smoothly.  I was able to prep everything at least the day before, so the morning of was spent picking up the kid stuff around the house and making sure they hadn't trashed the bathrooms.


For dinner we did grilled tri tip (four of them) with two different marinades, (including this one), twice-baked potato casserole (10 pounds made two 9 x 13 baking dishes), oven roasted mushrooms and Brussels sprouts (five pounds), and salad with apples, raspberries, blueberries, feta, and candied nuts.  Grandma's dressing for drizzlin'.  I made chorizo empanadas and cheesy artichoke dip for apps.  And two desserts.  This one, and the second that I'll share in another post.


The Dad doesn't do lemon desserts, so I never, ever make them.  But I LOVE them.  Since the guest of honor is a lemon cake fan, I decided to try something different.  
I found this post, which was more photo than recipe, but there was enough information given, that I figured I could wing it.



For the "frosting", I just whipped 8 oz of cream cheese with a jar of lemon curd.
Done.  
I found lots of actual lemon curd frosting recipes, both buttercream and cream cheese, but they all sounded sweeter than what I wanted.
This, I thought, was perfect.
The angel food cake was store bought and sliced into three tiers.
Layer with the lemon cream cheese, whole raspberries and blueberries, and sliced strawberries, and you're done.
I added some mint from the garden for color.
And after taking these photos, I added a few violet flowers, too.
I assembled the whole thing in the afternoon, covered it with a cake dome, and kept it in the fridge until serving.

Isn't it pretty?



It would make a perfect, light summer dessert, and would be fun for the 4th of July, too.





Good stuff, kids.


7 comments:

  1. Wow wow wow! It is gorgeous and I think lemon curd would taste great with angel food cake and berries. I'll check out your tri tip marinades!!! We grilled tri tip last weekend and on Easter too and it is a fantastic. We'll be grilling it all summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so delicious I could lick my screen. No- I didn't but thanks for asking! Oh- Yum...That really looks good! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious, Mindy, and beautiful too!! Just perfect for spring and summer. I love fresh berries, and definitely love anything lemon; I've already pinned this recipe. Thanks for sharing; I'm sure your guests must have really enjoyed the meal. :)

    Have a great week!

    Hugs,

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Denise! And thank you for coming by!

      Delete
  4. This looks absolutely amazing!! I am just blown away by your menu as i wish I was there to eat!! And this cake......my gosh.....it is like heaven!!! PINNING!!! Happy Thursday to you!! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so pretty, Mindy. I love looking at it almost as much as I'm positive I would love eating it--if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally gonna make this for my summer club Wednesday. One can find a jar of lemon curd at Fred Meyer?

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover