Thursday, April 23, 2015

Whoa Nelly! And Other Clematis Happenings

My 'Nelly Moser' Clematis has taken a liking to the sunny skies, and is rewarding me with a mass of blooms.


This is the plant that originally came from my grandma's yard.  My mom gave me a piece of hers years ago.  It's one of the first things I stuck in the ground when I bought the house, so it's been in the same spot for 13 years.  I have it planted on the fence, on the south side of our house, so it's mostly shaded until late afternoon, when the sun is in the west.  I'd say she's happy there.



She has Solomon's Seal at her feet, to keep her roots cool.





I didn't cut the plant back last year at all.
Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.
Depends on how gangly it's starting to look.
There are some dead branches mixed in, so it may get a wee bit of a haircut when it's done blooming.
But until then....










Up next, I have my Joy Creek splurge from early this spring.
Clematis, 'Oshikiri.'
It's not blooming yet, but I'm excited to say it has buds!


This one is up against the back of the house.
I had a jasmine in this spot for probably seven years, and it never bloomed.
Not enough sun, I think.
So I moved the jasmine to the fence on the south side and stuck this guy in.
It gets sun until about 2:00 pm or so, so we'll see how it likes it.




The final blooming clematis of the day is the one on the metal arbor.
My mom dug it out of her yard and gave it to me four or so years ago.
I don't know the name, but it's a beauty.


I haven't ever cut this one back since putting it here.
I wanna say the flowers were larger last year, though, so maybe I should give it a trim when it's done blooming.
Either way, the color is really, really pretty and it's LOADED with buds.




This one is in a spot where it gets sun almost all day long.







I have a few more that aren't blooming yet, but I could just keep adding and adding.
I LOVE them.
Any favorites of yours that I need to add to my want list?  


13 comments:

  1. You seem to have the magic touch with Clematis. I seem to be good at killing them. Or they just kind of waste away. I probably don't have them sited properly. I love the ones with dainty little bell-like flowers, like 'Betty Corning' and 'Princess Diana,' but they definitely don't like me. I thought at first your unknown might be C. jackmanii, but it has too many petals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very pretty Mindy. I must treat my Clematis better this year. They need a little TLC.
    That angle food cake in the last post is a work of art! You really did a nice job of the photography ( and I bet it tastes as good as it looks!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is a beauty Mindy! Ahh....just too pretty for words my friend...I'd say she is happy!! Here is to more garden happies this weekend! I literally have bandaids on most of my fingers as I really did a number on my hands laying all of my bricks and rocks. Ha! Not a pretty sight but the brick is!!! The life of a gardener! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Linda! The flowers did all the work. :)

      Delete
  5. Beautiful! So good to see the years of hard work in these plants and their flowers. I can't wait to get back up to Joy Creek and pick out some new clematis for the yard. Oshikiri looks like it will be a pretty one - keep us posted on it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nelly and Solomon make a very pretty pairing. I think your other might be Clematis Jackmanii. Google it and see what you think. I am partial to clematis with bell blossoms.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love your pairing of the Solomon's Seal with Nelly, great combo! I agree with Alison, you do seem to have the clematis touch :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer! I think in this case, it's probably just dumb luck. ;)

      Delete
  8. You are a flower goddess! :) Beautiful Mindy!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow you have some happy clematis plants in your yard! I cut mine down last Fall, I am hoping it helps it this Summer. I read somewhere that it's good to do that every couple years. But now that you said you don't cut yours way back and it puts on such a show for you, I am regretting I cut mine so far back. It's been so cold here again, that I haven't been able to do much gardening. It's getting really frustrating. I mean geez, it's almost May.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow you have some happy clematis plants in your yard! I cut mine down last Fall, I am hoping it helps it this Summer. I read somewhere that it's good to do that every couple years. But now that you said you don't cut yours way back and it puts on such a show for you, I am regretting I cut mine so far back. It's been so cold here again, that I haven't been able to do much gardening. It's getting really frustrating. I mean geez, it's almost May.

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover