Monday, April 13, 2015

The Front Yard: 3/10/15

We're back out front this time. Not a whole lot has changed since my last post, but the cherry tree is done blooming, the Snowball Viburnum has taken its place, and the Beauty Bush is getting ready to explode.


I've also started my annual buying spree, ahem.
These African Daisies never do that great for me, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to have a couple every year.




If I remember correctly, the limey green plant in the pot is a hyssop.  
It came up from last year.



A new delphinium came home with me, as well.




I don't know if it'll stay here, but I moved one of my black metal trellises from the back out front.



Iris never do much for me either, but I got one flower out of the clump.


My freebie maple tree is still goin' strong in his new potted home.



I never remember the name of this bulb.
I don't know where it came from, but it comes up all around in the yard.



The Beauty Bush, aka Weigela, is a beast right now.
I don't know the variety - it came from my mom's yard, and my grandma's yard before that.
They're prettiest when they're free to do their thing, I think, but my yard just isn't big enough.
I did refrain from whacking it early, though, so that it could bloom its little heart out.
So it's a wee bit wiley, but I can hack it when its done blooming.
The buds are just now starting to open.






The viburnum, on the other hand, is in full bloom.


Here they are, from outside the fence.



That lilac, that you can see in the above photo, is getting a major whack job here in the next few days.








I committed to a plant for the strip level with the sidewalk.
I remembered that the vinca in my backyard window boxes overwintered, so I dug it all up and stuck it in down there.
It's called Wojo's Jem, and it's variegated.
I found it in 2" pots over the weekend, so I bought three more to help fill in.
I planted six total, so we'll see how it does.


The creeping phlox down there must have heard me talkin' bad about it last week.
It's trying to redeem itself.


And last, I got all the Lesser Celandine cleaned up from the parking strip and gave my two rhubarb plants a dose of steer manure.
I heard them squeal when I was putting it on.



That's it for today.
Happy gardening.



8 comments:

  1. Yesterday, I bought an ornamental rhubarb at Dancing Oaks. Henceforth, I'll have to keep a few buckets of compost in reserve so I can also hear the squeal. :) Your front yard is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! Looking good my friend looking good!!! I need some rhubarb in my life this season for sure! It is all so rich and stunning my Mindy!!! Wishing you happy days in the garden this week! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an absolute stunning yard you have, sweet girl.
    I know your neighbors love you to the moon and back for making their neighborhood so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your yard is so beautiful! I love all of your flowers. You've done a great job taking care of them. I need some viburnum in my yard too. I can't believe how big and full they are. How long did it take to reach that size?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, your garden is just SO beautiful! It gives me hope that soon our flowers will be out up here in the still chilly Northeast...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kate! I'm lucky to live in the perfect gardening state, for sure.

      Delete
  6. Oh how I wish that I had your green thumb and landscape design talent! My husband gives our rhubarb plants a good dose of dried horse poo too that rhubarb loves! Isn't spring just the best?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Um so I guess I've been busy doing nothing. I didn't realize I missed your last four posts :( The beauty bush is just that and I love its provenance. That's great that it has been passed down three generations now! I'd love to get a snowball viburnum but I'm not sure where I'd put it... yet!! It is all very beautiful in your garden!

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover