Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Blood Orange and Avocado Salad + Our Latest Meal Plan


I did my grocery shopping Saturday morning and came across blood oranges.  I had never had them before, so I brought a bag home.  The kids put away all but three of them the first day.  They are so cool!

I knew I wanted to use them in a salad, so I did a Pinterest search to see what people were pairing them with.  The most popular pairings were beets and avocados.  I had the latter, so I made up a salad for dinner, based on the numerous pictures the search turned up.


I used mixed greens, blood orange segments, chopped avocado, and feta.  For a dressing, I just used the juice of the orange and some olive oil and then seasoned it up with salt and pepper.  YUM!

Look how pretty they are when you cut into them:



The main course was a new recipe lentil soup that was good, but not great, so I won't share the recipe. 
But I will mention that I used red lentils for the first time, and they did not hold their shape or color at all.
Just FYI if you're planning a meal that needs good presentation.  
They clearly need a different cooking process that doesn't involve an hour in simmering water.

Here's what they started out as:




Pretty, right?
Then they got boiled with cauliflower, zucchini and carrots, and everything just turned to mush.



Ah well, now I know.

So back to the salad, it was super fantastic.
Here's mine on my plate:









So good.
During my Pinterest search, I also came across a ton of desserts that used the blood oranges.
I'm thinkin' I may need to go pick up another bag.

Onto the latest meal plan.  
A couple of these are rollovers from the last menu, that didn't get made.


Please see my sidebar for the parties I link up to.

5 comments:

  1. Pinning this! I have never bought them but have always wondered what they were like...I thought that maybe they were more like a grapefruit. This recipe looks like a great one for me and the Mr!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow-That looks good! I wonder if people really know how much time and effort goes into this blog of yours? You do yourself proud, Mindy!!! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks delicious! thanks for the dinner idea! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's one of the reasons I love the red lentils. They just melt into the soup and make it thicker and heartier. But yeah, if you're not expecting that, it can be a shocker.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use red lentils, along with vegetables, to make red lentil pasta sauce. My husband loves it.

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover