Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Thai Coconut Shrimp Curry With Mango


I've got another one from out of our newspaper for ya today.  Because I don't do shrimp, and The Girl is off it right now as well, I added some fried tofu balls from that market by our house. Also, the recipe calls for mushrooms and I didn't have any, so we went without.  That's the great thing about curry, you can put anything you want in it.  This one calls for red curry paste, which is super spicy, so I used half the amount for the sake of the kids, and they were still chuggin' their milk.  So if your house doesn't do spicy, you may want to use yellow or green curry instead.  I also threw in a ton of fresh bean sprouts, 'cause we love them.



Here's the recipe with my notes:

Thai Coconut Shrimp Curry With Mango 
Printable Recipe

Ingredients:

2 tsp veggie oil
1 C finely chopped onion
4 large mushrooms, each cut into 8 wedges - about 2 cups
1 large clove garlic, minced
3/4 C red bell pepper, cut into strips (I used half a red and half a green)
1 C light coconut milk (I used a whole can)
1/2 C reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 Tbsp red curry paste
1 to 2 Tbsp fish sauce (I used one)
1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp firmly packed brown sugar
1 pound large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined (and/or fried tofu)
1 firm ripe mango, peeled, seeded and diced (it could have used two)
2 medium scallions, sliced
1/2 C chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 C chopped fresh basil
Hot cooked brown rice (the cops won't come if you use white)

Directions:

In a large nonreactive skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.  Add the chopped onion and mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until the onion is tender and the mushrooms are beginning to brown, about 6 minutes.

Add the garlic and bell pepper and cook until the garlic is fragrant, about 45 seconds.  Stir in the coconut milk, broth, curry paste, fish sauce and brown sugar; bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.

Stir the shrimp into the coconut sauce and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, turning them over if they are cooking unevenly.  Stir in the mango, scallions, bean sprouts, cilantro and basil and serve over hot rice.

Here's dinner at my house:





And on my plate:











I do love me some curry.


Please check out my sidebar for the parties I link up to.



1 comment:

  1. OH MY!! You totally had me at mango here! I bet this is just a total party for the tastebuds! If looks awesome!! Oh and I tried your cauliflower recipe the other night...score!!! It was hands down super awesome and the beans were all over it...double score!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover