Friday, April 8, 2011

Peanut-Butter French Toast "Waffles" With Mixed Berry Sauce

Can I just say, Wow!  I made this for the kids this morning and it was some serious kind of good.  I think this recipe came out of our Sunday paper, but I'm not positive.  It calls for a square waffle maker, but I used a round one, 'cause that's what I have.  A panini maker would probably work just fine as well.

Here's the recipe with my notes:

Mixed Berry Sauce:

One 16-oz bag frozen mixed berries, thawed (I didn't thaw mine)
1/4 C granulated sugar
2 Tbsp seedless raspberry preserves (I used homemade blackberry jelly)
1 Tbsp lemon juice

Combine the fruit and sugar in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil; stir occasionally, until berries soften, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a blender or food processor.  Add the preserves and lemon juice; blend until smooth.  Cool.

Waffles:

8 slices whole wheat or white bread (I used Brioche)
4 large eggs
3/4 C milk
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla
Pinch of salt
4 Tbsp creamy peanut butter
Nonstick spray

The night before, place bread on a baking rack; let stale overnight.  (I didn't do this)

Crack eggs into a medium baking dish and whisk lightly.  Add milk, sugar, vanilla, and salt; whisk.

Spread 1 Tbsp of peanut butter on 4 slices of bread.  Top with remaining slices to make four sandwiches.  Flatten slightly.  Soak sandwiches in egg mixture, 4 to 5 minutes per side.

Heat a square four-slot waffle maker according to the manufacturer's directions.  Spray top and bottom grates with nonstick spray.  Remove sandwiches from the egg mixture using a slotted spatula, allowing excess liquid to drip off.  Make two at a time on the diagonal of the grates.  Press down gently at first, then add a little pressure to the cover and press until it is completely closed.  Cook until golden brown.  Carefully remove each waffle to a plate.  Drizzle with mixed-berry syrup.

The recipe made a lot of berry sauce, so you could use it for several breakfasts.  I think I'll put it on pancakes this weekend.  Or ice cream.  Or warm brownies.  Or in champagne for a fun berry mimosa.  It was seriously good.  In the summer, you could use any combination of fresh berries you like.  Yum.

Here it is on my plate:








No comments:

Post a Comment

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover