Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Ham and Cheese Chicken Roll-Ups & Harvest Potatoes

We all have dishes that show up at every family function, right?  These potatoes are one of the things that make a regular appearance in my family.  I just so happen to love them, so I make them for home, too.  Super easy and super good.  Maybe not super healthy, but I'm not really one to take those things into consideration when it comes to food I love.

Here's the recipe with my notes:

Harvest Potatoes 

1 Package 32-oz frozen hashbrowns, thawed enough for them to break apart (You can use shredded or cubed.  I can't decide which I like better, but I may lean more toward the shredded.  Tonite I used cubed.)
1 10 3/4 oz can cream of chicken soup (I usually use cream of celery, only because chicken in a can kind of gives me the willies.  I suppose cream of anything would work.)
1 C sour cream
2 C shredded cheddar cheese (I can't imagine any cheese being bad)
1/2 C margarine, melted (butter would be fine, too)
1 medium onion, diced (I never put this in, for The Dad's sake.  I add onion powder instead.)

Topping aka Piece de Resistance:

2 C corn flakes
1/4 C melted margarine (Again, butter is a fine substitute)

Mix First 7 ingredients in a large bowl.  
I find it's easiest to do the wet stuff and grated cheese first.


Stir in your taters.


Spread into a greased 9 x 13 baking dish.


Mix up your topping.


Evenly spread it over the top of the potatoes.


Bate at 350 for 45 minutes.


So good.

The chicken I made to go with the potatoes is one of those, use what you've got deals.
All you need is boneless, skinless breast, ham, salad dressing or spread, and cheese.
Mix and match any variety of the last three items with what you've got on hand.
Ranch, blue cheese, mustard, prosciutto, salami, provolone, jack, etc.
You get the idea.

My plan was to use Swiss cheese, but I had forgotten that when I used all of it on our Reuben sammies the other night.  Whoopsie.

So here ya go, pound out your chicken into thin, cutlet-sized pieces.
Line a baking sheet with foil and place chicken pieces on it.
Season them with salt and pepper.



Spread some dressing on.
I used honey mustard.


Add your meat and cheese slices.
I used ham and cheddar.


Roll up, starting with the short end, and secure with a toothpick, seam side down, until you get them all assembled.


Remove toothpicks and lay another slice of cheese on top.



Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.  
Broil 4 to 6 inches from the heat for another 7, or until chicken is cooked through.



We had steamed broccoli with ours.

Here's dinner on  my plate:
(Don't mind the fact that the chicken and the potatoes are exactly the same color.)





4 comments:

  1. Yep, that makes me hungry. Those potatoes (or a version of them) are a big hit with our family too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look amazing! I'd make these for me and make the hubs eat them!!! They don't look like they taste Like potatoes at all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. could i assemble it a day or two before and then bake it the day of?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I've done that several times and they come out great.

      Delete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover