Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Summer Zucchini Pancakes

These pancakes are so good.  I made them yesterday for The Kid's first day of school.  I've made them a lot and anytime I have leftover zucchini from something, I pull this recipe out. 

Here's a little tip though, don't make them in front of your children.  Mine were in the kitchen helping this time and when I started grating the zucchini, this is what I heard:  "Zucchini!?  In pancakes?!  Ewwwww, groooosssssss, I am NOT going to eat that!  Moooom, don't put that in there!" 

Yeah, ignore them, they have no idea what they're talking about.  In addition to the original recipe ingredients, I always add vanilla and some type of fruit.  This time I used blueberries and blackberries.

I was cooking up the second batch while they were at the table eating and this is what I heard:  "Emma, my pancakes taste JUST like DONUTS!  Mine too Carter!  Mmmm, I love them.  MOM, I'm gonna want some more."

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Here's the recipe with my notes:

Summer Zucchini Pancakes 

1 C whole wheat flour*
1/3 C all-purpose flour
3 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 C milk
3 eggs, beaten
3 Tbsp canola oil
1 C shredded zucchini

*Note:  My kids are used to whole wheat flour, but you can certainly replace it with all-purpose flour instead.

Whisk whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl.  Whisk milk, eggs, oil, and vanilla if using, in large bowl.  Stir in zucchini, and berries if using, until well blended.  Stir into flour mixture until ingredients are moistened.

Spoon batter onto griddle.  Cook until golden brown, turning once.

Here they are on The Mom's plate:




We had them again this morning and The Kid ate six. 
Yeah, they're good.

3 comments:

  1. He ate 6?!!! Wow,...that IS impressive. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea to add more veggies!

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should try these - I had a disaesterous attempt at making Zucchini Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins - now everytime I make muffins - do these have something weird in them mom?

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover