Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Baby's Room: Fabric Covered Shades



This room is all the justification I'll ever need as to why I never get rid of anything.  Call me a pack rat if you must, but the only thing we've I've spent money on is the PVC pipe for the curtain rods, two yards of fabric, some ribbon and an inexpensive Ikea rug.  Everything else was stashed somewhere under our roof.

When we first built the room for The Kid, we went with the least expensive window treatments out there.  Roller shades.  Not fancy in the least, but they did the job for the then 2-year-old who was sleeping in there.  Fast forward four years and they were a little beat up, to say the least.  BUT, they still functioned, so replacing them wasn't gonna happen.  So what do you do when you want to hide the ugly?  Cover it with fabric, of course.

When I was first trying to decide on what to do in the room, I had pulled all my fabric down from the attic and had it in piles on the floor. I would sit in there and go back and forth over what to use.  In the stash was a duvet cover I had on my bed years ago.  It was big and had two sides worth of fabric to it.  SOLD.  So that's what I used.  I ended up looking online to see how other people had done it and the Cottage and Vine tutorial dominated Google images, so that's the one I used.  I read Rene's blog everyday anyway, so I trusted the source.

I was originally going to use spray adhesive to attach the fabric to the whole thing, but she advised just gluing around the edges.  So that's what I did.  I didn't finish the edges or anything.  I just cut and glued.  I also only used enough fabric to cover up to where the shades roll down to.  No need to waste it on something you'd never see anyway.


Here's what the back looks like:


And here's how they look pulled down:




The matching cushions on the window seat were my, Oh thank God I don't have to sew again, discovery.
They're the pillow shams that went with the duvet cover and they fit the existing cushions perfectly.
Super score.



The pillows were already in the room as well.
I just recovered them.
The fronts of the two outside ones are the fabric I bought.  
It's green with white polka dots and will show up in more of the room as well.
I trimmed them with some ribbon I had leftover from the garter I made when we got married.
I told you I never get rid of anything.
The back side of those is more of the duvet fabric - only with the colors in reverse.
The other two pillows are toile on the front, leftover from Baby number 1 - The Kid.
The backs are a green tablecloth I cut up.
The white curtains are also some I already had.
So there ya go. 
Another piece of the room DONE.
Actually, it's all done.....I just need to take some pictures.
I MADE IT! 
Phew.
Now we can have a baby.

11 comments:

  1. Oh I can't wait to see the final pictures! The shades look awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! You're better than me, Mrs. Non-Sewer. I'd be afraid to tackle shades. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, Awesome. You have such a talent. And I am laughing my head off at the list of stuff you found in the attic (or wherever) that you used, including your garter. ha ha ha ha - that is hilarious stuff. Everything (we can see anyway) looks so pretty (or handsome,...we'll see later). Nice job mom,...now go have that baby! (I'm predicting boy,..did I say that yet?) And his name is Will. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! The window seat looks so cute with the curtains, good job! I also wanted to let you know that I'm hosting my first giveaway, I'd love you to stop by my blog & enter to win a free My Memories digital scrapbooking software!
    Sally
    loveofhomes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mindy - It looks really beautiful. I love the window seat and the shade. Can't wait to see the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for you! The pack rats rule! (I'm one too). Could you span out a little with the next picture? I wanna see the tree :) The shades look awesome...so creative, using your duvet.

    To counter Terry's guess, I'm guessing it will be a girl and her name will be Ellie. El and Em...awwww!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mindy,
    My daughter is having a little girl in April. I call her daily with a new name suggestion. How can I see the names that people are sending you?
    Love your blog and admire your creativity and talent!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So clever Mindy!! It looks just lovely. So nice and peaceful for a baby to sleep in. I agree with Terry I am guessing a boy. I can't wait to find out. Thanks for sharing with us at Link It Up Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this idea. I wondered if you could give me advise on something. I would like to do this, but want to put fabric on the back as well (just so it looks more finished from the outside.) Do you think the shade could support more fabric? And if so, do you have any suggestions on the best method for doing that? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kelly.

      I'm so sorry, your comment didn't come into my inbox, so I'm just now seeing it. I couldn't find an email address for you, so I hope you get my reply.

      I think fabric on the back would work just fine. The shades I used would definitely support the extra fabric. You could attach it the same way, but on one of the sides, you would need to either fold the edges over like a hem before wrapping them around, to make them finished, or alternatively, you could leave them raw like I did and then attach some ribbon or some sort of trim to cover them up.

      Hope that helps!

      Mindy

      Delete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover