Friday, December 16, 2011

Nuts & Bolts Monogram

STOP
Trespassers will be prosecuted.
This post is not to be viewed by immediate, blood or marriage related, family members.



Okey doke, this is another Pinterest inspired project.  To see a photo of the original, click here. 

I was trying to come up with something else for my brother-in-law, in addition to the infused vodka, and then I remembered seeing this.  He's a born DIYer and I just so happened to have a crap ton of plastic cups in my garage full of random metal things.  Perfection.  I shall call it, Nuts & Bolts Monogram.  

First, gather up a pile of metal crap. 
LOL
Sorry, but that's literally what I did.  

 
Next, find a shadow box to put it in.  
I happened to have one under my bed.  
Yep.  I said it.  
Then, print off a letter the size you need.  
I just used a standard piece of printer paper, 'cause that's what fit into my frame.


Then, lay out your pieces on top of the letter until you get it configured the way that you want.


My shadow box came with a white, foam core backing, which is what I originally was going to glue to.
You could use anything you wanted as a background.
I changed my mind mid-project and decided to cover it with some fabric.
I just used a piece I had in my stash and adhered it to the foam core with spray adhesive.


Once you've got your background figured out, it's time to start transferring your pieces.
Depending on the letter you go with, start in a place that makes the most sense.
I started at the bottom left of the A and worked my way up and then back down the other side.
I transferred them all over before gluing anything.  
Just in case anything needed to be adjusted.
Which, of course, it did.
I don't know what type of glue works best for metal to fabric, but I had tacky glue, so that's what I used.


Continue gluing until all your pieces are attached.






Now it's ready to put into the frame.


I cut off the excess fabric and then glued down the remaining.
I put a piece of card stock over that and wrote a little note and the date on the back.

Here's the finished product:




And here it is in its new home:





10 comments:

  1. What a good idea. It's so hard to figure out what to make for guys. Your disclaimer at the beginning of your 'gifts' posts crack me up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cool! Perfect for the handy-person!

    http://chicgeekery.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have almost made that one a couple of times, lol. It turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Mindy!! These look awesome! What a great and creative idea! So unique!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this project - I think it would be fun to add to a wall of letters

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm doing this for my boyfriend who is graduating in a month. Thanks for the awesome idea. I think this is better than me sending him a tie or cufflinks or reference book on Mech Eng or a personalized mechanical pencil. NUTS AND BOLT MONOGRAM TOPS THE LIST. Thank you, The Rearranger!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea to do it as a graduation gift! Glad you stumbled upon the idea. I think it's a perfect thing that's thoughtful and personal, but doesn't cost an arm and a leg. :) Would love for you to email me pictures if you get a chance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mindy, I actually added you up on Pinterest in hopes that you see that it has been re-pinned many times. And I just wrote a blog about it, pointing others to your blog. Keep rocking and many thanks again!

      http://martylaurel.blogspot.ae/2015/01/nuts-and-bolts-monogram-for-mechanical.html?view=sidebar

      Delete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover