Friday, December 30, 2011

Happy Birthday To Me

I turned 36 two days before Christmas.  I kept thinking, Well this is the second time I've been knocked up for a birthday.  The Kid was born in January, so I was good and fat on my 30th.  Waaay better than my 27th birthday, which was spent sitting in an unemployment office.  Who lays off their entire staff a week before Christmas!?

Since having kids, my main birthday wish is always to have a night out, at a real restaurant, with adults only.  This year was no exception.  The Dad made reservations at a restaurant we had never been to and my sis and BIL joined us, as they always do. 


They brought a yummy bottle of wine and we did as well.


The food was AMAZING.  Seriously.  Every single thing we ordered was good.  Better than good. 

To start, we ordered the deep fried Brussels sprouts, potato-blue cheese croquettes with a garlic butter dipping sauce, and bread with a roasted tomato spread.





We shared a salad that was grilled kale, roasted beets and blue cheese, with a creamy horseradish dressing.


For dinner, my sister ordered butternut squash dumplings, which were reminiscent of gnocchi.  My BIL had halibut with a spinach-mushroom sauce.  The Dad got the best burger I've ever tasted in my life.  I had a delicious steak with Parmesan gratin potatoes.





Aaaand, just in case you doubt my sincerity, or think I'm exaggerating when I say the food was amazing, here's proof.


For dessert, we ordered banana cream pie and chocolate-nutella mousse.



Again, they didn't suck even a little bit.


Here are a couple child-free, enjoying a rare dinner out, happy faces.



Before heading out to dinner, we dropped all the kids at my mom's house and opened presents.  
I'm pretty spoiled. 



I got all kinds of good stuff, including a box full of cheese from my sister.  
Yep.  Cheese.  And goodies to eat with cheese.  
Did I mention I got a box of cheese?

And now, what I'm about to show you is going to make you really jealous.  But it's too cool not to share, so here goes.



My brother-in-law made the frame out of old fence boards.  The glass is from an old storm window they tore out and he used a Dremmel to etch the flower into the glass. Awesome, right?  He made it for outside, but I'd be afraid it would get broken.  :(  It's temporarily hanging in my hall.  







Once all the Christmas stuff is put away (any volunteers?), I'll find a permanent home for it.  I'm thinkin' it would be pretty darn cool hanging in front of a window too.

All in all, a good day to have a birthday!

10 comments:

  1. Your food pictures look delicious. You even take good pictures of empty plates. But, holey moley! Barnwood frame, etched glass? You freakin', lucky...um, birthday girl, lol. I'm so jealous! Get you BIL to post a tutorial. My son has a dremel and I WANT ETCHED GLASS! BTW, hanging it in a window is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love everything about this post, thank you. Oh wait I hate brussels sprouts, ja ja ja ja glad you like them though.Dougiefresh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated birthday beautiful!! You really should how your pretty face more just sayin ;) hope that didn't sound creepy lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, pretty cool indeed, a true work of art. He is very talented! Love the old wood and the fact that the glass is reclaimed. Thanks for the sweet comment on the confetti squares, you are right, they don't suck at all ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That framed etched flower is beautiful. It would look great hanging in a window (like you might do with a stained glass picture) or you could attach a piece of solid color fabric to the back of the frame (with just some masking tape so you wouldn't damage the frame) to go with ANY room decor. CL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stumbled across your blog & really like it! The glass etching and frame is one of the most beautiful things I've seen! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Joyce! Glad you found me. :o) And yes, I'm pretty darned lucky to have a brother in law with such awesome talent!

      Delete
  7. The etched flower is amazing!! I don't know where you have decided to hang it, but I personally would add a light behind it. It looks really cool in the pictures where you are holding it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey! I have an awesome idea for you. I love the etched glass and frame. Check out my website, we have barnwood frames at low prices. If anyone wants to copy your idea,therefore, they can buy etched glass and put it in one of our frames!! Think about it:) Thanks! allbarnwood.com

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover