Monday, July 30, 2012

Raspberry Bars


Prepare to be amazed.  Well, you have to actually MAKE them first.  You are making every single recipe I post, right?  Okay, well, if you aren't, you should start now.  'Cause these are delicious. 

Remember how I said we picked fresh raspberries at my aunt's house last weekend?  These bars were the fruits of my labor.  Or the kids' labor.  They picked more than I did.  They also ate more than I did, which is why I ate more of the bars.  Fair trade, right?






If you don't have access to fresh berries, or it's the middle of winter and you still must have these, just use frozen.

Here's the recipe with my notes:

Raspberry Bars

Filling
3 1/2 C raspberries
1 1/2 C sugar
2 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
1/3 C oatmeal
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Crumb Layers

2 C oatmeal
1 C brown sugar
1 C butter, softened
1 1/2 C flour
1 tsp baking soda


To make filling, combine ingredients in saucepan.


 Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat and let cool until only slightly warm.



 I literally could have sat down with that pot and a spoon, and finished off at least half of it.

For crumb layers, combine ingredients and mix until crumbly.
Hands work good.



 Press 2/3 of the mixture into bottom of a greased 9 x 13 pan or baking dish.


 When filling is cool, spread over bottom layer in the pan.


 Top with remaining crumb mixture.


 Bake at 350 until topping is golden and the filling is bubbly in the center, about 40 minutes.


 Try to stop yourself from eating the entire pan.
I did myself a favor and sent some home with my sister and shared some with a neighbor.

Here's a piece on my plate:






 Now go make yourself some!

P.S.  Thank you, Russ, for sharing your secret recipe.  My tastebuds are eternally grateful.

11 comments:

  1. Holy cow yummmm!!! I may recreate this with a lowcarb version! Great pictures Mindy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm,...insanely delicious looking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohmylord. can I get neighbor status? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, these look so yummy and healthy! I love raspberries!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mindy, can you eat this warm with ice cream on it - kinda like cobbler? Oh, I guess it wouldn't be healthy anymore, darn... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. raspberries are my fave....! this looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mindy: What a great treat these must have been--thank you for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mouth is watering! These are beautiful bars!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Mindy these are just wonderful. I have made these 3 times in the last week. Each time was a bit different. The first replaced Vanilla Extract with Pure Lemon Extract. The second replace Vanilla with Pure Almond Extract. The third I used two cups for raspberries & two cups thawed rhubarb. The first pan I took to work & they were gone in less than 30 minutes. Second I took to my daughters moving party. They were a hit. And the 3rd stayed at home for us to enjoy. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover