Friday, August 31, 2012

Pesto Pasta Salad


I've got another yummy one for ya.  I've been makin' this pasta salad for a long time.  It has its own special place in the Binder.  It may have originally come out of a Better Homes magazine.  It's quick, easy, and super yummy.  I know, I say that a lot, but it is.




Here's the recipe with my notes:

Pesto Pasta Salad

3 cups elbow macaroni (I always just use a whole package - I used whole wheat this time and they usually come in a 13 oz package, rather than a full pound.)
5 oz fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 lb small fresh mozzarella balls, drained and sliced
1 7-oz container purchased refrigerator pesto (I almost always have homemade in the freezer, so that's what I use)
1/2 C fresh basil leaves, torn
1/2 tsp fine sea salt

Cook noodles according to package directions; drain.  Rinse with cold water and drain again.

In a saucepan, cook beans, covered, in a small amount of boiling salted water for 10 to 15 minutes, or until crisp tender.  (I don't know about you, but if I boiled green beans for 15 minutes, they'd be mushy and gross.  I let mine go about five minutes is all.  I also used a handful of purple beans that I threw in raw to preserve their color.)  Drain beans, rinse with cold water and drain again.

In a large bowl combine noodles, green beans, mozzarella, and pesto.  Stir in basil and salt.  Chill completely before serving.

I took it to a potluck at my mom's, so I don't have any on my plate pics.


Here's our yummy salad in the bowl:




Enjoy the long holiday weekend!
It's back to school next week in these parts.
Holy moly.


4 comments:

  1. im thinking i need to go get my printer some more ink so i can print this recipe out. looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not used the garden green beans with pesto...thank you for tis new idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of pesto in pasta salad--brilliant! And very good indoor food photos, Mindy :) I am finishing up 2 projects today and hope to get them shot, and my hubby found 3 chairs and a little table all for free this morning, so we brought that home and now I have more projects to work on, besides the 3+ that sit in the garage!! But the price was right! Have a great long weekend, Mindy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds delish! Love the idea of using the green beans in a salad. I'll have to try it out!

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover