Monday, May 23, 2011

California Ranch Sliders

This week's menu is less of a, pour through hundreds of recipes to come up with ideas, and more of a, make what you know with what you have to get dinner on the table.

I was at the store the other day and I hit up the bread clearance rack.  It just happens to be one of my favorite places.  Second to the cheese aisle, of course.  I came home with a bag of 12 dinner rolls.  I split them into two bags, put one in the freezer and decided to make some sliders with the other six.

I had a pound of ground beef in the freezer and was trying to come up with something not completely ordinary with things I had on hand.  I found a half a bag of dry ranch mix in the cupboard.  Dinner went from there.

I pulled the California name out of my, ahem, hat.  Okay, not completely.  Anytime you go to a burger joint, there's at least three things with avocado on them that they put California in front of.  So I figured I could do the same.

I remembered while I was slicing the cheese that I was going to cook bacon to go on them.  Grrrr.  Oh well, next time.

Here's what I used:

1 lb ground beef
1/2 envelope dry ranch mix
6 dinner rolls
Lettuce
Tomato
Avocado
Lime juice
Pepperjack cheese, sliced
Green onion, chopped (or whatever onion you have on hand)


Mash avocado with lime juice.


Slice tomato and lettuce.


Mix your ground beef with the ranch mix.


Form into six patties.




Grill to desired doneness (is that a word?), putting the cheese on in the last few minutes.

Cut rolls in half and grill until warm and toasted.


Assemble burgers.

We had ours with grilled corn on the cob and potato chips.  For anyone wanting to know the rules for grilling corn, here's one way:

Husk corn.  Don't worry about getting all the little stringy things off, they'll burn off on the grill.



 Melt some butter in a small bowl and brush it on as the corn grills.  It should take about 10 or 15 minutes over direct heat.  Rotate often.

Here's dinner on my plate.






I'm linking up to these parties:

What I Made Wednesday at Sweet Peas and Bumblebees



3 comments:

  1. Those burgers look great. I think you're right about them putting the name California in front of anything with avocados so I'd say you can definitely do it too :) I'd love for you to link up some of your recipes to These Chicks Cooked Showcase tomorrow. Have a good one!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Katie - I'll come check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by to share a few of your recipes. Have a great weekend! Hope you can come by and show off a new recipe this Wednesday :)
    Katie

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover