Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Grilled Chili-Rubbed Flank Steak

The plan was to use the leftover beans from last night's Black Bean Soup to make enchiladas.  But what did I find when I opened the fridge this morning to get them out?  No beans.  The Dad had taken the entire remaining pot of soup with him to work.  I guess that means it was good.

So, onto plan B.  I was still in the mood for Mexican and I had a couple steaks left out of the family pack from the birthday dinner I made the other day.  I remembered this recipe, dug it out, saw I had everything I needed, so I got to work prepping it.

I got this recipe out of the newspaper in 2003.  No, I don't have an insanely good memory.  The recipe is in my binder and the date just happened to be on it.  I've made it a ton of times with a ton of different cuts of meat.  Flank, London Broil, Carne Asada - it's a use what you've got kinda meal.  Tonite I used regular 'ol Sirloin.  I've never tried it, but I imagine it would be just as good with chicken.

The recipe instructs to put the paste on the meat while your grill is heating.  I made mine and slathered it on this morning.  I covered it with plastic wrap and stuck it in the fridge until The Dad was home to grill it.  I've done it both ways and they're both equally good.

Here's the recipe with my notes:

1 large clove garlic
1 Tbsp chopped red onion
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 lbs flank steak
Lime wedges
1 C shredded Monterey jack cheese
Fresh chopped cilantro
Warm tortillas

Prepare grill for medium-high heat or heat a grill pan.

Add the garlic, onion, lime juice, chili powder, salt and cumin to a food processor.  If you don't have a food processor, mince your garlic, dice your onion, and mix everything together in a bowl.  Same difference.



Pulse until everything is finely chopped.





With the machine running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil until a smooth paste forms.  Again, use a whisk if you don't have the food processor or, as is the case with me the majority of the time, you just don't want to have to wash it.  (That's my little helper's hand.)






Slather your handy work all over both sides of the meat.



Grill the steak steak for 10 minutes, turning once, or until medium-rare.  (Adjust your time accordingly for other cuts of meat.)





Transfer meat to a cutting board and allow to rest for 5 minutes.

Cut the steak across the grain into 1/4-inch thick slices.  Arrange the meat on a platter.




Squeeze lime juice over the steak slices, then top with shredded cheese and cilantro.  Serve with warm tortillas and lime wedges.

I've never plated it like that before, although it would be pretty for guests or some sort of party.  I always just put the sliced meat on the table with the rest of the toppers I've got and let everyone build it the way they like it. 

I'm a corn tortilla girl, but the rest of the fam prefers flour, so I always have both.  This time around, we had lime wedges, shredded pepper jack, shredded cheddar, jicama (amazing on tacos), cilantro, sour cream, refried beans, salsa, and hot sauce.  OH!  And a can of those pickled carrots, onions and jalapenos.  Dang those things are on fire!!!  But I can't stop eating them they're so good!

Here it is on my plate:








 
Don't let the photos fool you.  I ate four.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover