Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Fire Broth Soup

I peruse through a ton of different blogs, but there are only a handful that I read on a daily basis.  Not because I don't want to look at more, but if I did, my kids would wonder where their mommy went.  Time suckers those kids blogs are I tell ya. 

One of the blogs I read every day is called The Art of Doing Stuff.  I came across it on accident and was immediately sucked in.  First of all, she's friggin' hilarious.  Second of all, she has baby chickens. Third, her photos are pretty.  What's not to like!?  I read her new post every morning with my coffee.  And usually spray coffee all over my keyboard from laughing so hard.

Okay, now that I sound like a complete stalker.....I saw this recipe on her blog a couple weeks ago and knew I wanted to try it.  So I got what I didn't have and made it for dinner tonight.  You can go here and read the original recipe.  Or just look at the pictures.  Or become her stalker like me.

Here's the recipe:

10 C broth (I used a mix of chicken and beef)
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 package hot Italian sausage
1 yellow onion, diced
1/2 tsp salt
2 heads of roasted garlic
2 hot chile peppers, diced
1 large sweet potato, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced (I used green)
1 large zucchini, diced (I used 3 small)
3 - 4 tomatoes, diced (I used canned)
1 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp coriander
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp pureed chipotle (I used canned chipotle and chopped what I needed)
4 Tbsp oregano

To start, roast your garlic.  I cut the tops off the heads, drizzled them with olive oil and wrapped them up in foil.  You can use a covered baking dish as well.  Roast them at 350 for 40 to 50 minutes, or until soft.  You can do this several days ahead of time.



Next, cook your sausage.  I put mine in a large saute pan with about a 1/2 inch of water and simmered them until they were almost done.  Then I drained the water and browned them in the same pan.  You can do this ahead of time - just stick them in the fridge if you're not going to use them right away.  Slice or chop when you're ready to add them to the soup.




Heat olive oil in a large soup pot.  Add diced onion and salt.  Cook until softened, about 10 minutes. 

Add sweet potato, chiles, half of oregano, roasted garlic, and spices.  Cook 10 minutes.


Add chipotle, bell pepper and zucchini.  Cook 5 minutes.



Add tomatoes, sausage, remaining oregano, and broth. 
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until you're ready to eat.  Mine was on the stove for over an hour.




It wasn't overly spicy, but it was way too much for the kids to handle, so they had tomato soup.

Here it is in my bowl.



Thank you Karen!

3 comments:

  1. OH... YUM! i can totally relate to stalking! I am guilty of stalking your blog! you sometimes twice a day make me smile while reading your posts! i am alway's interested to see what is next!!! This soup looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay Amy, now you're just making me blush. :)
    You could put this in your freezer with the rest of your stash!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way about blog reading..there are just SOO many ya know! The soup looks DELIShhhh!! Going on my "To Make at a Future Date" list..I just made that up and I like it haha!

    Delighted Momma

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover