Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Office Mini Makeover

My arms are sore.  My shoulders and neck are broken.  My back hurts in places I didn't think were possible.  Seriously - who knew there were muscles there?!  What, you ask, did you do?  Work in the yard?  Go the gym? (that's hilarious by the way) Move furniture?  No.  None of the above.  I worked on a project that included corks and a glue gun.  Yes, that's right.  I'm sore from crafting.

This project has been in my head for months.  I finally decided to work on it Monday.  It took waaaay longer than I expected - my fault for being an idiot - and it ended up taking two days.  Again, because I'm an idiot.

First of all, my plan was to use a glue gun on a giant piece of styrofoam.  I went out to the garage for something, got sidetracked and the styrofoam plan got changed.  Remember all those old windows we got from our neighbors?  I decided to use one of those instead.  But it needed to be sanded.  And painted.  So much for my 30 minute project.


Yes, you can see my reflection.  Yes, I'm in pajamas in the middle of the afternoon.

I didn't have a paint color I wanted to use, so I mixed two together from some leftover gallons.  A grassy green and a really light mint green.





And then I painted.



And then I thought it was cute, so I painted two more.  



I have no idea what I'm going to do with them, but they'll probably end up outside somewhere.

Okay, the painting is done and they're dry.  Onto the gluing.  Here's the best part.  I ran out of glue sticks after about the third row.  So I decided to use that clear Elmer's.  Idiot.  I glued about twelve more rows (about two hours worth because of having to get the perfect sized corks to line up in the frame) and decided I had better stop for the day.  So I stood the window up to clean up my mess.  They all fell on the floor.  Did you hear me?  THEY ALL FELL ON THE FLOOR.  You've GOT to be kidding me!  I shoved everything to the side and left it until yesterday.

I was a bit calmer when I started in on it again.  Until I decided to dig through my glue bin to see if I had anything that actually said it would work on glass.  Guess what was in the bottom of the bin?  A brand new bag of glue sticks.  You've GOT to be kidding me!  Anyway, I reglued all the corks that had fallen off and finished the rest.  Then I went to find hangers to attach to the back.  Nope, no hangers.  This part was another two hour ordeal.  I will spare you the details.  Let's just say I rigged something up.  And cussed a lot.  Let me also say, this is the heaviest thing I've ever held over my head.  Ever.  And I had to mess with it FOREVER to get it hung.  And now, my arms and back feel like I've been bench pressing a car.  Which takes us back to why I sat down to type this novel post in the first place.

Soooooo, short story really, really long, I rearranged my office.  AKA, The Hole.  If you'd like to know more about The Hole, you can click here.  It's actually another example of me not knowing when to shut up, but there are pictures as well.  So feel free to scroll through all the rambling.  Kinda like now.

Here's my new 500 pound cork board (clearly I should have gone with the styrofoam) (oh yeah, remember this hole is in my bedroom, AKA The Dungeon, so the photo quality is poor at best):















 I'm linking up to What I Made Wednesday over at Sweet Peas and Bumblebees.









5 comments:

  1. Your humour kills me. This turned out really nice despite all of your hardships to get to the end. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is SO WORTH every little moment of pain it took to get your there! I LOVE it! I love the large scale in that small space too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colors in this! Props to you for finishing after all the frustration. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much!!! It was a major pain in the rear, but I love looking up at it when I'm sitting here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog, staying to stalk a little and showing me this super cute wine board. I can't wait to stalk you later this evening!

    Kristen
    Turning a House into a Home

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover