Thursday, February 18, 2016

Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie

For the last few years, I've done chocolate for our Valentine's Day dinners.  I decided to switch it up this time.


Baby has been begging for strawberries for months, but they've been so dang expensive, I just couldn't bring myself to buy any.
Five dollars a pound is insanity.  
Trying to explain to a three/four-year old that they aren't in season, isn't the easiest thing in the land.
Anyway, when I was trying to come up with heart-themed food for our Valentine's day dinner, I decided I'd splurge and make her a strawberry pie.
Lucky for me, they had gone down a dollar.  
Ha!
So I did a search on good ol' Pinterest and settled on this recipe:
I had some chopped rhubarb in the freezer from last year's garden, as well as some frozen pie crust.
If you've never made your own, this recipe is SO EASY:
Anytime I make it, I do a double batch so I can throw some in the freezer.
The whole thing was super simple to make.
The only part that took any time was cutting out the heart shapes for the top, but I had a helper for that.







 We used two different sized heart-shaped cookie cutters and just went around the top, starting from the outside, until it was covered.
Here it is, ready for the oven.








About 30 minutes in the oven, and you get this.







Fun, no?


I served it up at room temperature, with whipped cream and a fresh strawberry.




 It would be delicious in the summer, with fresh, local berries and a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Ahhhh, summer.
Happy almost Friday!




4 comments:

  1. Can you believe that I've never eaten rhubarb? We don't have it available here so maybe one day when I visit a place that does I can try it. Hehe. Your pie is so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, it's so, so good. My favorite is in cake. Heaven!

      Delete
  2. Pie crusts have always intimidated me! Your Valentine's day pie is an inspiration. The strawberry rhubarb pie covered in hearts is so sweet. I must bookmark the recipe you recommend and work on my pie crusts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How adorable is this...a beautiful girl making a beautiful pie...I wish i had her here today to make moi a pretty pie.
    I am putting tiny cookie cutters on my shopping list today...and don't tell anyone but...I've never (in my entire loooong life0 tasted rhubarb.....Boo

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover