Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Valentine's Day Table Setting 2016

Years ago, we decided to forego the Valentine's Day hubbub of trying to find, (and pay for), a babysitter, make reservations, stand in lines, eat overpriced meals, and instead, I made a "fancy" family dinner at home.  It has become an annual tradition.


The kids probably don't care one way or another at this point, but every year, I set the table and make a meal, complete with cocktails, appetizers, dinner, and dessert, all with a Valentine's Day theme.
(Last night after writing this, The Kid made several very sweet  comments to me about these types of dinners I do for them.  I guess they notice after all.)
I know the food wouldn't necessarily have to be anything extravagant, but I like to make special things that I wouldn't normally bust out on a random weekday.
I'll share this year's entire menu with you in a separate post, but today I'm throwin' the table setting out there.



You know by now, that I hate buying a bunch of holiday or themed crap that just ends up in a garbage can.
So, as usual, I dug through cupboards and drawers to set the table this year.
The only non-edible thing I purchased was the mini rose in the center of the table.
It was at the entrance to the grocery store and I just couldn't help myself.
It was less than $4 bucks, so I figured it was my gift for slaving away in the kitchen for two days.  ;o)



My aunt just recently gave me the red glass ice bucket, so I plopped it down, pot and all, inside of that.




I found the red and white, and black and white, placemats at the Dollar Store last winter.
I pulled out a couple paper lace hearts, also from last year.
The little bottles got sprigs of flowers from the yard.
I put tea lights down inside two dessert dishes from my sister.
The multi colored napkins are one of my absolute favorite things, but I only have three, so I mixed in two others that I made, exactly like these, a couple years ago.
The old salt and pepper shakers have warped lids, but I still love them.
The little red plastic hearts came home with The Kid from a project at school.
The paper heart straws in the kids' glasses were in my stash - I think they originally came from Target's dollar bins.

































I put the treats on the table for color.



I have no clue what pigs have to do with Valentine's Day, but they were pink and cute, so....







I even baked a pie!
From scratch!



And on a fluke, the bottle of wine I had open matched everything.  :)






The banner was from The Girl's Ladybug Birthday Party yeeeears ago.
I threw it up on the wine cabinet for fun.




And there ya have it.
Another Valentine's Day family dinner at home.
I'll be back to share all the yummy food!



3 comments:

  1. Oh the sweet memories you create for your family! I can't wait to see your menu and all the delicious food you made! You baked a homemade pie with hearts on it?! You have talent lady. I made my family a dessert from your blog this Valentine's day and it was a huge hit....the lava cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the sweet memories you create for your family! I can't wait to see your menu and all the delicious food you made! You baked a homemade pie with hearts on it?! You have talent lady. I made my family a dessert from your blog this Valentine's day and it was a huge hit....the lava cakes.

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover