Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Christmas Book Advent

This a post from last year.  I figured there's probably more than one of you out there who, like me, remembers all about wanting to do this, after the first of December.  When it's too late.  So here's your reminder to hit up the thrift stores for some Christmas books - you still have nearly two weeks to get it all dialed in.  :)  I dug ours out of the Christmas bins in the attic, and will be wrapping them up over the weekend to get them ready.  Now to find those dang numbers.....


I am sooo excited to do this with the kids this year.  I've seen the Christmas book advents in blogland over the last few years and every year, I say I'm gonna do it.  Then the first of December comes and goes and I've blown it.  Not this year!


The kids already had quite a few Christmas books.  They've received them over the years from neighbors and friends.  But I still needed more, and there was no way we could afford to get them at a bookstore. Those suckers are at least $15 bucks a pop right now.


So I hit up Goodwill.  You guys, they had three entire shelves full of Christmas books.  It was like winning the lottery.  I got all giddy when I saw them.  Then I proceeded to plop down on the floor, yes in Goodwill, and scan through every single one of them.  I bought one that was $2.99 and one that was $1.99, but the rest were .99 cents!!!  Deal of the day.  And they're nice books.  A couple of them are paperback, but most of the ones I brought home are hardcover books.  So awesome.


So I wrapped them all up, (yeah, that part took a minute), numbered them from 24 to 1 on a brown paper bag cut into circles with a Sharpie, ('Twas The Night Before Christmas will be read on Christmas Eve, of course),  put them in a basket I already had, and voila. Christmas Book Advent.


Did I mention I'm excited?  I was thinking about the kids being older, and having favorites, and looking forward to opening them, and trying to guess which one is the one they love them most. Eeeeeee.  So fun.

As I was wrapping them, I was thinking, there's no reason you'd have to do Christmas books.  If your house is like ours, you have books coming out your ears. Between the three kids, we have a ton of books, and there are some we haven't read in a long time.  You could just pick 24 and wrap them up.  Make old books new again!  No frenzied trip to every thrift shop in town, looking for ONE MORE CHRISTMAS BOOK.  You don't even have to leave the house.  And you can read books every night under the tree with the kids.  I can't wait.



I brought the basket down from the attic and we'll read our first one tonight.
So fun.


Please see my sidebar for the parties I link up to.

2 comments:

  1. May I share this on my own blog? I would definitely give you credit. I am doing a CHRISTmas blog about having a Christ centered CHRISTmas and I think this idea would be great with CHRIST centered books. My blog is BringBackJesus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen this a lot too and it is such a cute idea. The goodwill route is the only affordable way to do it. But you could also shop the school book fair, which isn't cheap but does raise money for the school, so they say. This is such a fun age when kids can remember what they liked from the Christmas before.

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover