Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Blue Cheese-Bacon Burgers

Raise your hand if you like blue cheese. Raise your other hand if you like bacon.  Now, if you have two hands in the air, put your right hand down (or left if you're a lefty) and scroll down to the ingredient list.  Pick up a piece of paper, write down the things you don't have and immediately drive to the store for them.  When you get back, continue reading.......

Anytime I'm putting a new meal plan together, I ask The Dad if there's anything in particular he wants for dinner.  This time he requested burgers.  Which was perfect because I had just seen a picture of one the other day that made my mouth water.  So here's my attempt at replicating it (P.S. I don't measure when I'm not following a recipe, so these are guesstimates.  Feel free to add or subtract amounts to your own taste):

1/2 small onion, diced (about 1/2 C)
5 pieces of bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
1/4 C mayo
1/4 C sour cream
2 - 3oz crumbled blue cheese
ground black pepper
4 hamburger patties, prepared and cooked to your liking (I put Worcestershire sauce, Montreal Steak Seasoning and garlic powder in my ground beef this time and grilled them - you could certainly use ground turkey, which I do a lot.)
4 toasted hamburger buns.
Toppers of your choice (I used lettuce and tomato because it sounded good with the spread.)

Cook bacon in a skillet.  Remove, drain on paper towels, and let cool enough to crumble.  Drain pan, leaving enough grease to cook your onions.  Cook onions until softened and brown, about 8 minutes.  Remove with a slotted spoon and allow to cool.

Stir together sour cream, mayo and blue cheese in a bowl.  Add crumbled bacon, onion, blue cheese, and season with black pepper.  There was something green in the picture I saw, so parsley or chives would be a good addition, but I didn't have either.  I made this about two hours before dinner and put it in the fridge so the flavors could combine.

Smear the blue cheese spread all over your bun,  add any other toppings you like, and eat.

We had ours with oven fries and coleslaw. (P.S.  Super secret, on the down low, tip:  Soak your cut up potatoes for 30 minutes in water before putting them in the oven for extra crispy "fries".)  I drizzled the spuds with veggie oil, sprinkled on salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika, spread them out on a baking sheet and baked them at 400 degrees for about 35 minutes, stirring twice.  For the coleslaw, I had half a green cabbage in the fridge from last week, so I whisked together mayo, sugar, and enough milk to make the consistency I wanted and then stirred the thinly sliced cabbage in.  You could mix in whatever you like in addition to the cabbage.  Make sure you make it several hours ahead, or even overnight, so the dressing can work it's magic.

Here's dinner:






And to prove that my children eat what we eat (sort of), here's The Girl's plate:






No comments:

Post a Comment

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover