Thursday, April 21, 2011

Sugar Cookies with Buttercream Frosting

I'll use any reason I can to make these cookies.  I LOVE THEM.  I use the recipe out of my Betty Crocker cookbook, but they seem to vary based on the year they were issued.  Not just for these cookies, but for other staple recipes.  So I'll give you the one that's in mine.  It's the best.  :o)



Here's the recipe with my notes:

SUGAR COOKIES

1 1/2 C powdered sugar
1 C butter or margarine, softened (I use butter.)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 large egg
2 1/2 C flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar


1.  Mix powdered sugar, butter, vanilla, almond extract and egg in a large bowl.  Stir in remaining ingredients.  Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.  (I usually make the dough a day in advance.)

2.  Heat oven to 375.  Grease cookie sheet lightly with shortening.  (I use Silpat liners.)

3.  Divide dough in half.  Roll each half 1/4 inch thick on floured surface.  (I pull out the amount of dough I want and keep the rest in the fridge while I get the first batch cut.)  Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters.  Place on cookie sheet.

4.  Bake 7 to 8 minutes or until edges are light brown.  (My oven only needs 6 minutes, so I would check them after 5.)  Remove from cookie sheet.  Cool on wire rack.

5.  Frost with Vanilla Buttercream Frosting, tinted with food coloring if desired.  Or, in lieu of the frosting, you can sprinkle the cookies with granulated sugar before baking them.


VANILLA BUTTERCREAM FROSTING

3 C powdered sugar
1/3 stick margarine or butter, softened (I use butter.)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 to 2 Tbsp milk (I usually end up having to add a little more to get the consistency I want.)

1.  Mix powdered sugar and butter in bowl.  Stir in vanilla and milk.

2.  Beat until smooth and spreadable.

3.  Divide into individual bowls to add any food coloring you want to use.


Here are our Easter cookies:












My mouth is totally watering right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover