Thursday, April 14, 2011

Chicken Marbella

New to me recipe night.  A girlfriend was telling me about this and as I was cringing, she seconded the motion that it sounds weird, but that it was really good.  Two days after her talking about it, I came across the recipe in a magazine.  Must be fate, right?  Well, either that, or desperation to get dinner on the table.

I'm not gonna lie, The Kids weren't excited about it.  The Dad, on the other hand, said, "Goooood dinner Min".  Score one for The Mom.

The recipe suggested serving it with steamed white rice.  I made quinoa instead.  Shout out to Heather for introducing it to me a couple years ago at a potluck.  For those of you who aren't familiar, get on board.  It's good stuff.  I've seen it at the grocery store in the ready to prepare boxes, (think Pasta-Roni or whatever that stuff is called), but I buy it in bulk.  It's super easy.  Basic rule is 2 parts liquid to1 part quinoa.  Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.  Fluff with a fork.  (Yes, kinda like Stove Top Stuffing.  And yes, I used to eat that too.)  There are a zillion things you can do with it at that point.  Google it.  Quinoa is your new friend.

On with the show.  The recipe gives directions for cooking it in a crock pot, which I did, but there's no reason why you couldn't do it in a pot on the stove or in the oven.

Here's the recipe with my notes:


1/3 C white wine
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
3 Tbsp red wine vinegar (separated, or you'll add it all at the same time like me - which is clearly becoming a habit)
Kosher salt and black pepper
6 cloves garlic, smashed
1 Tbsp capers
1/2 C prunes
1/3 pitted green olives (I forgot to buy these, so we went without 'em)
4 small chicken legs, split, about 2 1/2 lbs, skin removed (I used 4 thighs and 7 drumsticks)
1/4 C flat-leaf parsley, chopped (I also forgot to buy this, so my photos are a little bland)
1 C long-grain white rice

1.  In a 5- to 6-qt slow cooker, whisk together the wine, brown sugar, oregano, 2 Tbsp of the vinegar, and 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper.  Add the garlic, prunes, capers, and olives and mix to combine.











2.  Add the chicken, nestling it among the olives and prunes.  Cover and cook until the meat is tender and cooked through, on low for 5 to 6 hours or on high for 3 to 4; gently stir in the remaining Tbsp vinegar and parsley.






3.  Thirty minutes before serving, cook the rice according to package directions.  Serve the chicken, prunes, olives and cooking liquid over the rice.

For those keeping track - Per serving:  302 calories, 8g fat (2g sat fat), 129 mg chol, 487mg sodium, 34g pro, 24g car, 15g sugar, 2g fiber



Here it is on my plate:





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover