Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Greek Salad Sandwich

It's sammy night!  Okay, maybe it doesn't warrant an exclamation point for some people, but I love sandwiches.  And this one is super quick.  I came across two versions last week, so I pulled from both to create my own. 

Here's my version:

1 loaf of yummy crusty bread - I used a flat ciabatta
Garbanzo bean spread (see below)
Feta, about 5 oz
Sliced cucumber
Sliced tomato
Sliced red onion
Sliced bell pepper (I had a red one)
Fresh spinach (neither recipe called for this, but I threw it in anyway)
Fresh basil leaves (ditto)
Olive oil
Salt and pepper

Garbonzo Bean Spread:




Add 2 Tbsp lemon juice, 1 Tbsp olive oil, fresh basil and 1 C of rinsed and drained canned garbanzo beans to a food processor.  Pulse until finely chopped.

Split your loaf of bread lengthwise.  Spread garbanzo bean mixture on one half of bread.  Drizzle with olive oil.





Mix feta with about 1 Tbsp of olive oil.  Spread on other half of bread.  Layer cucumber, tomato, spinach, bell pepper, basil and onion on one side of bread.  Season with salt and pepper. 

 



Put a lid on it, cut into sammy-sized pieces and eat. 









Things I will change next time:  I'd skip the spread and use some store-bought hummus.  Faster and easier.  If you feel like making the spread,  I would add some more flavor to it.  More lemon juice, maybe some fresh or roasted garlic, salt and pepper, etc.  I would put the feta on top of the hummus and drizzle the plain side of the bread with olive oil and red wine vinegar.  We ended up drizzling our sandwiches with my fancy 25-year old balsamic that The Dad got me for Christmas, but I think the red wine vinegar would make it taste more like a Greek Salad.  The way I make it anyway. 

So there ya go - my version with things I'll do next time around.  Either way, it was REALLY good.  We had ours with potato chips.  You could do fries or soup instead.


Here it is on my plate:






No comments:

Post a Comment

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover